Decoder Sky Q Internet Version

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 987 times. The last Post () by JackaFacka.

• Hi to everyone,

For curiosity I am currently digging on Sky Q decoder (internet version), I discovered that it uses a realtek RTD1311VS SoC. On the board I found a possible JTAG port but I currently don't have the right tools to access it. I then moved on to analyze the data traffic, I managed to discover the domain from where the decoder obtains the firmware, but since it is protected by TLS I cannot decode the request completely. I tried to decode the protected traffic using TLS downgrade and sslstrip techniques, which worked with other APIs but without success for the firmware API. Has anyone already reversed this new decoder or want to contribute?

• oktus

Approved the thread.
  • Neither the drivers nor the operating system on the device are open source. There are certainly no compilers for the processor either.

This is all kept under wraps by the manufacturers.

This means that even if you somehow got hold of the operating system, which isn't that easy, you would still have to reverse engineer the processor.

You have to keep in mind that you would then have to write a compiler for the unknown processor in order to get Open Source Linux on it.

But then you still don't have any drivers and you would have to examine all external components separately.

No way too complex and too complicated

• Hi to everyone,

For curiosity I am currently digging on Sky Q decoder (internet version), I discovered that it uses a realtek RTD1311VS SoC. On the board I found a possible JTAG port but I currently don't have the right tools to access it. I then moved on to analyze the data traffic, I managed to discover the domain from where the decoder obtains the firmware, but since it is protected by TLS I cannot decode the request completely. I tried to decode the protected traffic using TLS downgrade and sslstrip techniques, which worked with other APIs but without success for the firmware API. Has anyone already reversed this new decoder or want to contribute?

Send me a private message for discussing further :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!