Thinking of using vpn

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 341 times. The last Post () by heike2013.

• Hi guys,

I'm considering using a vpn as my usenet provider is offering a good deal on it, but as i've never used a vpn before would it be straightforward to set it up on my cs server thats running debian,? Would the ddns lines stay the same, I only have around 8 lines so would be easy to change if needed. Just a thought if I get it I may as well use on all my devices, phone, pc etc.

• VPN is a generic term (Virtual, Private Network) so not sure which variant your usenet provider is providing, but most likely there is a debian solution for whatever they use. Hard to say if it will be straightforward without knowing details...

Also not sure what speed they are offering (and which services as some may be blocked...) so it may not be (probably not) a good idea to use it for everything...

• Thanks for the reply, it's newshosting that are the vpn provider, they gave this information

100% Online Identity and Data Protection
    Direct Access to the Fastest Worldwide VPN Network
    Unlimited and Unmetered VPN Bandwidth
    Unlimited Server Switching
    OpenVPN, L2TP, and PPTP Protocols
    Free software
    2 Simultaneous VPN Connections
    24-7 Customer Support

100% Online Security
    7,000+ Anonymous IP addresses
    70+ servers in 17 countries
    OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP
    Free and Easy-to-Use VPN software
    No Logging
    Wi-Fi Hotspot Protection
    NAT Firewall
    VOIP Support

For $3.12 a month didn't seem bad for the price

• You would have to check if they allow servers. Most are only for anonymous surfing and do not allow you to have a fixed IP address and be able to run servers to which others can connect. Basically they are just for you to connect outside anonymously, not for others to connect to you...

• There is a VPN provider called AirVPN what allows you to port forward and has a DDNS/DynDNS feature, Also allows openvpn, pptp, l2tp, android

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!