which hardware is good for linux pc server?

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 563 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• Hi
    For hubby I make server on to 3 PC with Debian Linux and every card reader are Smargo , but result for every server was different!!
    every PC are Intel atom
    first server Intel atom 330 , motherboard intel
    2- server is Intel atom D 525 , motherboard Gigabyte
    3- server is Intel atom 230 , Pakard bell
    -------------------------------
    first Linux every thing almost is okay
    2- server 2 sometimes ,some card readers not works or cccam stop or ocsam stop , and i must restart server
    3- server 3 never good ! after couple hours no reader works no cccam works !!!!

my question:
    is every chip control USB in motherboard important for smargo?
    or maybe something else are important for to make PC sever?
    anybody know , witch motherboard (prefer Intel atom ) is good to make pc server?
    Thanks

• I don't use 3 pc for server, i said i test it just for hubby.
    then i see for every pc was different , just little i share for experience .
    just my question is mark chip-set usb controller important for make sever?
    in my test ,i think is important .
    maybe somebody have more information or experience.
    sorry english...

• Any computer which could run a windows operating system will suit your purpose, so long as it is set correctly and it has the correct drivers to get everything working. If it is a old PC or not a very fast one, then it is an idea trim down what you are installing on it, as to just run a server, you don't need whistles and bells.

It might be an idea to look at the system BIOS to ensure everything is how it should be and there is nothing going on which would cause things to behave differently, not sure if there would be any USB or power saving options in the your BIOS but worth a look. Usually if you are having issues, then it would be software driving your hardware rather than hardware itself. If you are getting different results on different computers, then you might want to see if you need additional drivers for your chipset, so might be an idea to browse the manafacturer websites to see if there are any additional drivers. Also maybe a browse of linux forums to see if anyone else has any issues with USB devices on your computers. If any drivers are needed that are not under the GPL (open source) then they would not be installed by default. To be honest though with USB, they are all set to a standard in such a way that they should all work without anything additional, after all, it is a universal standard format designed so that lots of things work, so maybe there could be some other issues causing it rather than the USB itself.

Worth looking at any power saving options you have set up, I have found that any issues with my USB devices is often down to this.

Hard to tell what is going on but I am sure something will be able to fix it!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!