New Raspberry Pi 3 - 64bit / WIFI / BT

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,877 times. The last Post () by rmg_hrr.

• Official Post

Meet the New Raspberry Pi 3 — A 64-bit Pi With Built-in Wireless and Bluetooth LE

Today is the Raspberry Pi’s fourth birthday, and along with birthday wishes, we’re welcoming their newest board. Almost exactly a year after the arrival of the Raspberry Pi 2, say hello to the new Raspberry Pi 3, Model B. The new board is the first 64-bit Raspberry Pi, and comes with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

The Specs
    Quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex A53 clocked at 1.2 GHz
    Roughly 50% faster than Raspberry Pi 2
    802.11n Wireless LAN
    Bluetooth 4.1 (including Bluetooth Low Energy)
    400MHz VideoCore IV multimedia
    1GB LPDDR2-900 SDRAM (i.e. 900MHz)
    Priced at $35

Intended not just as a desktop replacement, but also to be used embedded projects, the Pi 3 has been deliberately designed as an evolution rather than a revolution for the Raspberry Pi platform. Which makes a lot of sense.

ff567d719a8ae5.jpg

With over 8 million Raspberry Pi boards now sold, keeping backwards compatibility has to be important to the Foundation. That’s a lot of users and teaching materials.

The new Pi is fast
    On the surface, the new board looks almost exactly the same as its predecessor. But while it keeps the same $35 price tag, a lot has changed under the surface. Dropping the ARM v7 architecture of the Raspberry Pi 2, this is the first 64-bit Raspberry Pi, with a quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex A53 clocked at 1.2GHz.

Source and full story : http://makezine.com/2016/02/28/meet-the-new-raspberry-pi-3/

• Nice one mate, let us know how you get on with it :thumb:

Compared to my original Pi, it's fast, very fast and a lot smaller in size. I'm very happy with it. Loaded it wit OSMC, installed salts and haven't looked back yet.

I find it very difficult to remove the sd one time the raspberry is in its box
    the System Push Push was really a plus when the raspberry was in the box

Yeah I noticed that too, but I'm not planning on removing it so not really an issue. I've heard of people attaching a small piece of tape to the SD card to aid in yanking it out.

• Which one better Raspberry pi 3 or Amlogic S905 MXQ Pro/KI Plus with 4k, Android, Kodi capable If you want to use just as a media/game/browser tool ??

I am sure Raspberry pi 3 having many more advantages like it can be used to build some electronic circuit/controller but from media player view which one is better supported?

Not sure how often MXQ Pro/KI plus firmware can be upgraded?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!