DiSEqC switch after a DiSEqC switch (all inception like, but with DiSEqC switches)

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,486 times. The last Post () by lk11mn.

• Hi all,

I have a basic idea of how a DiSEqC switch works, or at least what it's for. I have 2x 4-port DiSEqC switches, I was planning ahead when I bought them.

The setup I had working was:
    2 feeds from a quad LNB at Astra 28.2E, 1 going into port A on each of the 2 DiSEqC switches
    2 feeds from a quad LNB at Astra 19.2E, 1 going into port B on each of the 2 DiSEqC switches

So, both the DiSEqC switches had the same satellites available, so the 2 switches were connected to the 2 tuners in a wetek play box. So, it works/worked fine.

Then the "upgrade" came: I got an Opticum LMQP-04H Quad LNB monoblock today which should get me Astra 19.2E and Hotbird 13E. So, I set about replacing the existing LNB on this dish.

To setup, I simplified things. I just connected my receiver directly to the left side of the block, verified Astra was ok, unplugged and connected to the right side of the block and moved it a bit and I got hotibrd ok.

I thought I was done and I hooked it all back up,
    2 feeds from the left side (Astra 19.2) of the Monoblock, 1 going into port B on each of the 2 DiSEqC switches
    2 feeds from the right side (Hotbird 13) of the Monoblock, 1 going into port C on each of the 2 DiSEqC switches

Mehh, but no.. It's not detecting "port C" as hotbird, I fiddled about, rebooting, and booting up different images from sd cards, and the original wetek android image and I did tune in hotbird, but astra 19.2 disappeared, then I fiddled about some more and hotbird dissapeared and astra 19.2 came back. Port A is no problem, its is still fine.

Now I think I know what the problem is... How I assumed the Monoblock works. I assumed the 2 ports on the left would be for the LNB on the left, and the 2 ports on the right would be for the LNB on the right. Now I'm thinking there's probably a switch built in and each of the four ports can switch to LNB A or B. I can't find anything usefull about the LNB online, but it does mention a built in switch on one website. I will verify this tomorrow.

So, here's the question, How can I send a switching signal through a switch? Something seems to be happening between different tuning software that is switching the choice of LNB between hotbird and astra, but at the moment I am tuning in on tvheadend and Astra 19.2 is completely missing, and hotbird just got a thousand or more channels.

I'm not even 100% sure this is the problem, but I would be grateful for any light anyone could shed on this.

Thanks.

• DiSEqC switch and Monoblock dont work together

there is a work around to get a DiSEqC switch and Monoblock to work
    you need to open up the DiSEqC switch
    and short 2 ports together or use a splitter

or just buy the Televes 7269
    DiSEqC switch
    it has a switch for Monoblock

Edited 5 times, last by davvo ().

• Great info, thanks.
    I'll try to get some splitters.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so I soldered a wire across port 1 and 2 on the switch and I get Astra 19 and hotbird 13, and Astra 28 is working fine on port 3. Yay, thanks.

I suppose the advantage of using the splitter will be that I will just need (1 cable and) 1 port on the monoblock and then splitting it into 2 cables before the switch. At the moment I need to use (2 cables and) 2 ports on the monoblock and connect directly to the switch.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!