CANT GET ROOT ACCESS ON winSCP

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 808 times. The last Post () by master G.

• hi when im trying to install oscam i cant when i login to winscp it wot let me access the folder/file am trying to login as root with no luck any help :06:

this is what im getting when trying to access file/ folder

Permission denied.
    Error code: 3
    Error message from server: Permission denied

also ive tried master g thread -Enable Root Access To Your New Ubuntu Server with no luck

• Official Post

You can login with root ok but you don`t have the permissions to ftp anything onto the server, is this correct ?

Which version of ubuntu are you using ?

Try this:

Code
    sudo passwd -u root

Code
    sudo passwd root

Code
    su

Code
    service ssh restart

Code
    nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

edit line 28 from...
    PermitRootLogin without-password
    to
    PermitRootLogin yes
    Save changes and exit...Then restart SSH...

Code
    service ssh restart

If you want to save the changes you've made, press Ctrl + O . To exit nano, type Ctrl + X . If you ask nano to exit from a modified file, it will ask you if you want to save it. Just press Y

• You can login with root ok but you don`t have the permissions to ftp anything onto the server, is this correct ?

Which version of ubuntu are you using ?

i can login with my username and password which is setup for the ubuntu server aswell im going through the tutorial of seting this up when i login with user and password it logs in then on right panel i scroll to root double click and the above is what i get im using Ubuntu Server 14.04.4 LTS

• ive done that it wont let me login just to ask when loging in ftp as root do i type sudo as user and my password which i just changed will let me login fine as a user which ivve create in ubuntu server but no permissions to ftp or edit??

• this worked for me

after many hrs, I've done it, that was driving me nuts, and for anyone that don't know how to enable the root account, so you can login as root on WinSCP
    :~# sudo passwd -u root
    :~# sudo passwd root
    :~# su
    :~# nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    edit line 28 from...
    to
    PermitRootLogin yes
    :~# service ssh restart

Now you can login via SFTP as root.
    once you've done what you want to do, change the config back to original

• hi thanks ! for the post same here spending hours and hours:06: finally! ive got to edit the sshd_config appreciate your help!

one more thing lol im new to this how do i save and exit?

thanks again!

• If you want to save the changes you've made, press Ctrl + O . To exit nano, type Ctrl + X . If you ask nano to exit from a modified file, it will ask you if you want to save it. Just press Y.

I`ve attached an edited ssh_config file.

from one problem to another it wont let me save permission denied! :23_002:

- - - Updated - - -

Who is it not letting me save why am I getting denied permission on my own user that I made when installing the server ?

- - - Updated - - -

Would you suggest of re-installing the server again,?

- - - Updated - - -

wheen i did this the first time i could see all the details and changed line 28 but wouldent let me save was coming back permission denied
    now when i do tose steps there is nothing there it starts a new file???

- - - Updated - - -

got it yes!!!!!
    1. :~# sudo passwd -u root
    :~# sudo passwd root
    :~# su
    2.service ssh restart

3.:~# nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    edit line 28 from...
    to
    PermitRootLogin yes
    :~# service ssh restart

CAN LOG IN NOW AS ROOT!! THANKS TO monkified AND MASTER G FOR HELPING OUT FANTASTIC SUPPORT!:thumb::thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

just to say the help i have recieved on this thread is excellent:69: im glad i joined thank you guys really appreciate your help sorry for the questions :thumb:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!