changing ip

There are 13 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,392 times. The last Post () by master G.

• hi everyone
    hope am posting in right forum
    i have a small server with aa few friends on it.server seems to be working ok until recently it keeps shutting off and my peer gets cut off
    i found out that the server is changing ip address.
    i am using ubuntu 6 ,and cccam lines manager.i then use cccam lines manager to reset ip address on server then reset the port forwarding on router .can anyone tell me why is my server ip keep changing and how i can fix problem as this happens twice per day.
    thanks

• hi zugarcanez
    dont know what box or image u have but in network make sure enable network is ticked and dhcp it not ticked.
    hope this helps

EDITsorry missed ubuntu server....forget this and read below.....

gaz

• [quote='Ten Below','https://linuxsat-support.com/index.php?thread/&postID=3738#post3738']As Gaz said set dhcp to off and your box ip will remain static.[/QUO
    maybe i did not make myself clear in my first post.
    the server is at my house and it keeps changing ip address.when this happen all my 11 friends gets cut off. i am the only one who have the card but aal *** the monthly ***.
    if i do as gaz suggested and do this in all the 11 boxes will this solve the problem
    thanks

• i do have a dynamic dns account which is updating . i am using cccam 2.14 on ubuntu6.06 as server and one box on the network.is this the box which is my server box?
    thanks

• Official Post

i do have a dynamic dns account which is updating . i am using cccam 2.14 on ubuntu6.06 as server and one box on the network.is this the box which is my server box?
    thanks

Sorry i missed that you are using an unbuntu server, forget the dhcp and box. What you need to do is go to your router setup page and assign the unbuntu pc a static ip address.

• thanks 10 below for advice i will not try tonight as its not a good time with most people on.
    i am using a netgear wgr614 v6
    where do i go from there
    thanks

• Official Post

this is for your router
    Configuring Static Routes

Static Routes provide additional routing information to your router. Under normal circumstances, the router has adequate routing information after it has been configured for Internet access, and you do not need to configure additional static routes. You must configure static routes only for unusual cases such as multiple routers or multiple IP subnets located on your network.

From the Main Menu of the browser interface, under Advanced, click on Static Routes to view the Static Route menu, shown below.

Figure 6-9. Static Route Summary Table

To add or edit a Static Route:
    1. Click the Add button to open the Add/Edit Menu, shown below.

Figure 6-10. Static Route Entry and Edit Menu
    2. Type a route name for this static route in the Route Name box under the table.
    (This is for identification purposes only.)
    3. Select Private if you want to limit access to the LAN only. The static route will not be reported in RIP.
    4. Select Active to make this route effective.
    5. Type the Destination IP Address of the final destination.
    6. Type the IP Subnet Mask for this destination.
    If the destination is a single host, type 255.255.255.255.
    7. Type the Gateway IP Address, which must be a router on the same LAN segment as the router.
    8. Type a number between 1 and 15 as the Metric value.
    This represents the number of routers between your network and the destination. Usually, a setting of 2 or 3 works, but if this is a direct connection, set it to 1.
    9. Click Apply to have the static route entered into the table.

As an example of when a static route is needed, consider the following case:

o Your primary Internet access is through a cable modem to an ISP.
    o You have an ISDN router on your home network for connecting to the company where you are employed. This router's address on your LAN is 192.168.1.100.
    o Your company's network is 134.177.0.0.

When you first configured your router, two implicit static routes were created. A default route was created with your ISP as the gateway, and a second static route was created to your local network for all 192.168.1.x addresses. With this configuration, if you attempt to access a device on the 134.177.0.0 network, your router will forward your request to the ISP. The ISP forwards your request to the company where you are employed, and the request will likely be denied by the company's firewall.

In this case you must define a static route, telling your router that 134.177.0.0 should be accessed through the ISDN router at 192.168.1.100. The static route would look like Figure 6-10.

In this example:

* The Destination IP Address and IP Subnet Mask fields specify that this static route applies to all 134.177.x.x addresses.
    * The Gateway IP Address fields specifies that all traffic for these addresses should be forwarded to the ISDN router at 192.168.1.100.
    * A Metric value of 1 will work since the ISDN router is on the LAN.
    * Private is selected only as a precautionary security measure in case RIP is activated

• Hi everyone
    Just reporting that i have used the settings/advice given by Ten Below last night on my router. Since then the server has not change the ip address.
    Am keeping my fingers cross and will be out tommorow.
    thanks for the help from everyone.

• Hi everyone
    Just reporting that i have used the settings/advice given by Ten Below last night on my router. Since then the server has not change the ip address.
    Am keeping my fingers cross and will be out tommorow.
    thanks for the help from everyone.

this problem pop up again today
    server ip address change again plus the settings i was given by tenbelow for my router was also changed
    so fun and game have started again

• Official Post

this problem pop up again today
    server ip address change again plus the settings i was given by tenbelow for my router was also changed
    so fun and game have started again

I would try upgrading the routers firmware is possible, if not do a factory reset and set it up again from scratch. Unless somebody here has experienced simillar probs with this model i think your best chance of working this out is the netgear forums.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!