Setting up a server

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,097 times. The last Post () by codar.

• Hi I'm a bit confused on where to start on setting up a server for friends and family, I've read about dreambox and pc servers, which is best and where do I begin, I've had a look at the Linux section but it's a bit daunting and I'm lost on where I should start. Thanks

• Official Post

A pc server is going to be more stable.. Once configured you can stick it out of the way and forget about it.. No need to ever reboot it..

With a receiver you are going to be installing new plugins, rebooting, testing new images.. Everytime you do this is downtime on your server which affects friends and family viewing..

For years i`ve used different receivers and found myself having to check the server is still online everyday, it was so unstable.. Now I use a cheap, low spec, compact laptop and omnikey..

This is the tutorial i followed and it has been rock solid for me -> Tutorial - Ubuntu Server 11.10, 12.xx, 13.04 x32/x64 - Auto Oscam/CCcam 2.1.3 Install

There is an updated version of this you could try here -> Automated install Oscam

Let us know how you get on buddy..

• Cheers master g, if using an old pc how many friends and family could I connect before it becomes unstable, is setting up 2 servers the same process as 1, I'm thinking about running 2 one as a backup just incase 1 is down. Thanks

• An old pc should be fine (if it doesn't take the 64-bit version, just load the 32-bit one).
    No need to have a backup server, just backup your configs to somewhere safe (usb key etc) then it won't take you too long to get a replacement one setup if needed.

• Should do, you won't know for sure unless you give it a go.

And which Linux OS name and version can run normally on this PC.

Give ubuntu latest server release a go to see, if the x64 won't install, try the x86 (32 bit) version.
    Both can be found here:

Code
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!