A question to the more advanced peeps

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 777 times. The last Post () by gap30.

• I seem to remember reading somewhere the Edison OS Mini being able to watch powervu channels without stream relay

its something that has been bugging me for a while

Why can this not be done on the Zgemma H2H?

When you look at the specs of both boxes there is not much in it

Have i got this wrong?

• Official Post

As far as i am aware it is only dreambox's that works without stream relay. ??

• It works on the alien2 for channels which use CSA encryption (I think 4W has the only ones...) Other boxes may work for these channels as well.

Also, if you use Spark instead of enigma2, mcas plugin allows all powervu channels to be opened, but not easy to update keys...

• The most common encryption used for satellite is CSA (Common Scrambling Algorithm) but most powervu channels use DES instead.

So, two factors - one is whether or not the hardware supports DES decryption and the other is do the drivers for the hardware not only support DES, but also support extended_cw functions (ie. different cws for each video/audio track - as opposed to one for all like other systems use.)

If the drivers are closed source, there is not much the image developers can do but wait for new drivers...

While most keys change about every 10 seconds, powervu keys change every second (all keys for each video/audio track) - so the box needs to be fast enough to support this.

Also, I suppose it may be possible to implement software DES decryption, but that would require more CPU power and a big change in the data flow of the streams...

• So if anyone was to ask for a low budget box in future, one would say get the Edison OS Mini as it can do xyz over the Zgemma (assuming you are using a motorised dish setup)

Oh and thanks for your guides on various things joeuser

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!