Dish options

There are 37 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,499 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Alright lads.

Quick question for the people who know about this kinda thing, moving to a new house very soon and wondering what the advantage is if I install a motorised sat dish or just install a fixed to 28?
    I have a vu solo 4k, can't speak any other twang apart from english, so.... am I just Better to fitting a fixed dish? Ie can I get the football/f1 on other sats?

Thanks in advance lads!

• [MENTION=258061]mackem79[/MENTION]
    why would you want a UHD box and limit it to sly.uk, cos theres not even HD avaliable
    the only way you're gonna get HD is via CS as it's on 19.2E plus others.
    nope as toothfairy says always gotta be multisat.

regards: canthackit

• The most important part of setting up a motorised dish is, making sure the mount you have the dish motor fixed to is dead level at all angles. I have mine on a scaffold pole fixed to an exterior wall on my house. So once the pole was set at a perfect vertical level it makes the setting of the motor a whole lot easier. Go for it, we`ll keep you right on here. When you do it, you`ll wonder why you didn`t do it sooner. There`s a whole new world out there waiting.

bo.

• The most important part of setting up a motorised dish is, making sure the mount you have the dish motor fixed to is dead level at all angles. I have mine on a scaffold pole fixed to an exterior wall on my house. So once the pole was set at a perfect vertical level it makes the setting of the motor a whole lot easier. Go for it, we`ll keep you right on here. When you do it, you`ll wonder why you didn`t do it sooner. There`s a whole new world out there waiting.

bo.

a Geordie helping a Macklem great stuff ;-)

go for it m8 ive set a few up over the years
    T & K brackets m8 using a scaffold pole best, on a south facing wall if possible

still loads of euro Tv available by CS

If my post helps hit the Thanks ;-)

• thanks lads,
    the back garden is south facing so thats where i was thinking of putting it up on that wall, which looks pretty stright forward.
    might have to take a week off work to get it all set up correctly tho!! haha

• It`s not as daunting as it looks. trust me. Over the last 20 odd years, I`ve always installed my own dishes. The 3 important steps I take are
    1: Make sure the pole/mount your dish is going on, is perfectly vertical.
    2: The brackets your motor uses to be fixed to the pole are set at your areas longitude/latitude(you`ll know what I mean when you see the motor).
    3: The motor arm should be set at 0. Your dish when fixed to the motor arm should have the lnb arm pointing directly out from 0. Make sure the motor & dish are not fixed to the pole too tight, you need to be able to swing the whole thing left and right.
    When you`ve done all that turn the whole unit (dish & motor) to point at 0.8*west Intelsat/Thor satellite and securely fix everything to the pole once you are happy you have a strong signal from Thor. Now once you have a decent settings list in your receiver you should be able to find the other sats when you change channels. Don`t be disheartened if you don`t it will take a bit of tweaking here and there.I`ve just made a simple explanation of what to do, it will be a bit more difficult but no way as difficult as the tutorials will make you believe. Also you may want to get a cheap satellite meter or you can do what I`ve done in the past, have a tv insight of where I`m messing with the dish and set the receiver on a free to air channel. Once I have the dish pointing to the correct satellite that channel should appear.

Don`t be scared. :06:

bo.

• excellent thanks for that bo!!
    Just been looking a few kits on line and some of them come with a meter so i think i will order one of them when pay day comes.

• Your last step is incorrect.
    You need to input your coordinates into the receiver, then drive the dish to Thor (or which ever satellite is closest to his location), then align dish assembley for max signal on that satellite.

• hi all the best way ,make sure your bracket is level , just use usual setup but firts point your dish to 0 degrees south .

and go to 28.2 then go to 30 west when them 2 sat are setup your dish and motor are fixed

• Yes you are correct about the coordinates. But you have to have the motor and dish aligned to thor in the first place otherwise you are never gonna get the satellite arc right.

bo.

Sorry but you are wrong.
    You can't just point it at Thor and expect it to track the arc correctly.
    The motor and bracket have to point south, I know Thor is only 0.8 west of south but what if you live at 3west, pointing at Thor would give incorrect arc.

Edited once, last by TK4|2|1 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!