4K Satellite Receiver capable of HLG HDR, FBC and DVB-S2X..

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,232 times. The last Post () by makbar.

• It has been said one can have a job done swiftly, cheaply or well. One can oft choose two of the three. Quality, speed or cost..

I am looking for quality certainly as have just bought an LG OLED 55E6. Speed useful and costs to be kept within reason if possible but as a final factor only.

I Hybrid Log-Gamma HLG

Given that the BBC and others perhaps planning in due course to broadcast 4k with HDR using HLG technology this is a must even if only able to be appreciated through test broadcasts for now (SES UHD channel at times as well as the nature clip on the iPlayer).

II Full Band Capture FBC

I have a new 60cm fixed dish with a standard LNB and two leads. A twin tuner at least thus a must but mined to swap out the LNB for an Inverto Unicable II LNB so a FBC capable receiver preferred although at first may simply use it as a twin tuner. FBC also said to offer snappier channel changing. These LNBs sadly appear not to be available via WoS but will call to confirm.

III DVB-S2X

The next step for satellite tuners and although for now not mainstream (LGE6 - and even the new E7) equipped with an internal DVB-S2 as indeed is even the VU+ Ultimo 4K. Tellingly however the forthcoming VU+ 4K SE will debut with DVB-S2X and these tuners PnP and able to be swapped into an Ultimo for those who wish to.

IV 2TB HDD

I have an external 2TB USB3 WD Passport and would hope to be able to have installed a drive of at least equal capacity internally if possible. If not will suffice with a smaller drive and the WD plugged in to supplement.

I have thus been eyeing the Octagon SF4008 which appears to offer all of the above except FBC.

My LGE6 has recently had a firmware upgrade to be able to process HLG (it already had Dolby Vision and this useful for some 4K Netflix titles so endowed) and have been able to confirm this with both the SES UHD channel at the time as well as the iPlayer app HLG test clip.

I have seen a post on this site where the SES UHD HLG clip uploaded and played on a LG OLED via the Octagon but I did NOT see in the clip any confirmation frok the poster that the set received and recognised the HLG signal or simply played it in SDR 4K.

Any here able to comment on this?

A second option would be the forthcoming VU+ UNO 4K SE. Even if the Ultimo 4K considered I would wait for the new DVB-S2X tuners to become available and I do not see the advantage of the Ultimo over the UNO 4K SE for the purpose as outlined above and with a single TV.

Happy to consider any boxes fulfilling that above that I may have missed.

Thank you in advance..

• The Octagon SF4008 is a very good box, I have one and it works a treat despite not having FBC tuners and no blind scan at the moment. . I also have the Gigablue Quad 4K. Works a treat but have yet to try the FBC tuners to their full extent. Both take HDD's with the Gigablue able to use a 3.5".

• The Octagon SF4008 is a very good box, I have one and it works a treat despite not having FBC tuners and no blind scan at the moment. . I also have the Gigablue Quad 4K. Works a treat but have yet to try the FBC tuners to their full extent. Both take HDD's with the Gigablue able to use a 3.5".

Thank you Emulated.

The persistent lack of blind scan a pity.

Might ask whether you have an HLG capable TV and, if so, whether you have been able to confirm the Octagon able to pick up and pass on HLG HDR colour?

• I read this ***trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378 before i got my Samsung 4K TV a few months ago. You will probably have to ask Octagon if the 4008 is able to pick up and pass on HLG HDR colour?

• I have vu+ultimo 4k and samsung 65" 4k tv.

The box is pretty good with FBC tuners 1X s2 and 1X cable

I can record and watch up to 16 chan at time with only 2 cables going in tuners.

blind scan not working as yet.

4k be it tv or box not much out there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!