help please dish set up

There are 33 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,995 times. The last Post () by huester.

• hi guys I am trying to reinstall my dish after removing from roof ( getting too old ). I have a 1mtr dish with a Technomate 2100 motor which is a few years old now. What I have done.

Mounted the dish low down but with a good line of sight. My house is slightly SE facing with open fields behind.

Made sure pole is vertical both ways

Set motor angle to my latitude 53 deg.

I have not changed the dish angle as it was working before

Have reset the motor so the drive pole is centre

Made sure motor pole and dish is are all lined up square

Aimed dish at 0.8w according to Sigsat192 deg magnetic reading.

Having done this I cannot find a signal. Any help and advice much appreciated. I do not have a meter. Do I need to get one and if so what would be suitable.

Also I am thinking of getting a new motor, maybe 2600 and a smaller dish. I tend to mainly use 28e 13e and 19e and occasionaly 1w, so would a 65/70cm be big enough?

• Official Post

There is a good android app that will help called signal meter, its in the play store,

just connect your phone to the same wifi network that your box is on when using it, it talks to you when your on the ladder.

Make sure your boxes channel list is up to date

Double check your motor angle, there is a motor where its wrong (i forget which) but its arse about face...in your case you would minus 53 from 90 to give you 37... if that is indead the same issue your having...

Your 1 meter dish will be far better than a smaller one, but yes i get your required sats with a 85cm dish in the london area....

65 should be fine for 13, 19, 28 east but not 1w on some weaker TP's

Good luck

• 19.2 east is a strong satellite to setup your motorised dish manually mate if you are stuck, 1w is weak buddy but yes thats what you should be aiming for particularly for usals !

However If its just for 13/19 and 28.2 forget 1 west bro.... stick your box on Das Erste/HD = make sure channel list is current and then align your dish to 19 east manually...peak/adjust lnb scew and save on your decoder...i dont know what reciever you use but even basic recievers should have signal meters.... if you are really stuck... stick an official sky 28.2 reciever inplace and get that peaked on 28.2 with the signal bars on that...note...reboot official recievers after all connections made tho..if you get that saved on your 3rd party reciever 19 and 13 can fall into place auto or manually via remote..

I use a spectrum analyzer but through experience i know you will manage this for your limited/close grouped sats you are after buddy

Good luck !

• thanks for your replies. Not managed to do it yet but I am changing the location as I think it may be a bit low down. Will try on 19.2 east. I have looked at some Android apps but without success. One thing I have noticed is the variety of settings offered by different sites and apps which is a bit confusing. Not to worry . I am sure I'll get there. Definitely a learning curve

regards gray

• When i set my first dish up it took me weeks

Now it takes minutes using the app i posted

swing the dish slightly adjusting your elevation as you go

As soon as you lock your first signal such as Das Erste you are 99% there

A 1 metre dish should be locking sats no problem

Oh using dishpointer will help you get a rough reference where your due south is: http://www.dishpointer.com/

Also look at the sky satellites where you live to get a general idea where you need to be pointing

• thanks for your replies. Not managed to do it yet but I am changing the location as I think it may be a bit low down. Will try on 19.2 east. I have looked at some Android apps but without success. One thing I have noticed is the variety of settings offered by different sites and apps which is a bit confusing. Not to worry . I am sure I'll get there. Definitely a learning curve

regards gray

If your looking for apps and dont want the hassle, make sure the app has augmented reality, this will show if the satellites will clear from your dish location if you cannot do this by eye so to speak and depending on the app used it shoud advise what elevation/azimuth and polarisation to use.

• Not managed to sort this yet. Have come to the conclusion that the motor is faulty. Can't get it to move at all so am going to bite the bullet and get a new motor and dish from sponsor. I think motor is about twelve years old so been good value. I will report back how I get on. Once again thanks for help and advice on this.

regards gray

• Hi all Well got myself a shiny new 80cm dish and 2600 motor from sponsors. Just like to say here what great service form WOS ordered Tues del Weds within a 1 hour time slot, also price very competitive. Anyway I have been trying all morning to set it up and cannot find any signal. I have set the motor angle up to my latitude 53 which is about 37 deg. Set dish to 22.4 elevation. These are quoted in manual that came with motor. I have tried 1W 13E 19.2 E and 28.2 E and cannot find a glimmer of a signal on any of them. I have also tried lifting dish elevation slightly. I have mainly used my VU solo2 but have also tried my freesat receiver on 28e with a tv outside in view of dish. I am now at a bit of a loss what to do next so any further advice most welcome. Maybe I am missing something obvious. Also I have checked all leads and connections.

regards gray

• Hi, did you set you motor to 0 and then put it on the pole. Then did you make sure that you motor is pointing exactly at mag south? Check this with a compass and then check again with a digital compass app on your phone. Once you have done this then turn you receiver on a choose a channel like ajazeer english on 0.8w this motor will turn slightly and then its a matter of trying to get a picture. This is where you would move the elevation up and down a little and maybe east of west.

I have a tm 2600 motor at have the same latitue as you and I set my motor up to lattitude of 53 on the scale on the left hand side and it 37 deg on the elevation side.

• Hi, did you set you motor to 0 and then put it on the pole. Then did you make sure that you motor is pointing exactly at mag south? Check this with a compass and then check again with a digital compass app on your phone. Once you have done this then turn you receiver on a choose a channel like ajazeer english on 0.8w this motor will turn slightly and then its a matter of trying to get a picture. This is where you would move the elevation up and down a little and maybe east of west.

I have a tm 2600 motor at have the same latitue as you and I set my motor up to lattitude of 53 on the scale on the left hand side and it 37 deg on the elevation side.

Thanks for your input I did that but didn't set it to due south as you suggest. Will try that tomorrow. Did you set your dish elevation to 22.4?

• Hi hueser, really difficult to tell you dish elevation as its a an old iss dish I use for playing with, the numbers on the side show its at 80, but more or less the dish is vertikal to the ground just like all the other sky dish around. Photos below.

that does look a shallow angle. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

• Once you have done this then turn you receiver on a choose a channel like ajazeer english on 0.8w this motor will turn slightly and then its a

He has an 80cm on disecq so i would,nt recommend trying to set it up on 1w,i would recommend heading for the sats heuster requires like 19 or 28.2

@heuster, as said by kegnkiwi point the motor itself due south (0) or as near as poss and lock the bracket up..send your motor round to 19.2 east with your vu box and stick it onto channel das erste, then make your adjustments...leave lnb scew in the centre..your dish should look pretty much vertical so not pointing up or down if you get my drift..peak your dish manually and lock it up,then do any other adjustments via the box remote itself to peak 19 east and store it...then look for 13 east and 28.2,,,peak via remote only and store.

Also make sure your tuner/s are setup correctly for motorised on your vu reciever..DONT use usals unless you are certain your pole is plum centred,for the sats you need i would just manually store as i have described above..

Which area of the uk are you in heuster

Good luck

• johndeer88, this latitude is 53 which i guess is northern england possibly along the m62 corridor. The dish in the photos above of mine is a 80cm dish and that was set up on 0.8w on aljazeer english and its a very good signal. I do use a meter though that makes it much easier. It was always said never to set up on 28 or 19e as this will causee issues on the west sats.

• got a meter and have now lined up on 19.2 e getting 99% signal. What is next step. I have tried using signal finder and positioner setup but can't get motor to move. I am using VU solo2 with Open ATV . I have only used usals before so not sure how to move dish from receiver

thanks gray

• Are you getting the 99% signal on your meter and nothing on your receiver? I ask because it looks to me like there is something wrong at the receiver end. It`s not getting a signal and it`s not moving the motor. I think your first step should be to just get the receiver to move the motor. Does the motor have any buttons on it to move the dish east to west/west to east?

bo.

• Are you getting the 99% signal on your meter and nothing on your receiver? I ask because it looks to me like there is something wrong at the receiver end. It`s not getting a signal and it`s not moving the motor. I think your first step should be to just get the receiver to move the motor. Does the motor have any buttons on it to move the dish east to west/west to east?

bo.

no mate getting 99% on channels on 19e but not sure how to move dish about. Can't get it to move using signal finder, and baffled by the positioner setup function. There are movement buttons on motor

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!