Latest BootLoader backward compatible with older images?

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,080 times. The last Post () by white_westie.

• Hi all,

Have owned CT ET9000 for over a year now. Looked at all images when I got it, and initially decided on old BH 1.4 image before switching to Egami and have been running it ever since. Now that Egami team have decided to drop ET9000 support, was looking around at current crop of images to see if changes in drivers/kernel/images are worth changing for!
    Looking around. the latest images require the latest bootloader ie: 30/09/2011 and later.
    So to try new the images I have to upgrade the bootloader, so my question (hence the title) is that if I upgrade the bootloader and I don't like what the current images have to offer, can I restore/clean flash the EGAMI 1.3 to my stb?
    From what I read, down grading the bootloader does not seem to be recommended.

Regards
    WW

• no the new bootloader is not backwards compatible with older kernel images on CT / Xtrend receivers. unlike the Vu receivers which are fully backwards compatible.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• Thks for quick response, however info not what I expected - I knew the 9000 was different to vu boxes, but thought bootloader was common.
    While down grading the bootloader does not seem to be recommended, is it fair to say it can be done but it has risks of bricking box?
    Since there is no option to use jtag or serial flash box if anything happens, its something that needs to be considered.

• yes it can be done but you risk serious and permanent damage if any thing goes wrong which is highly likely. even the manufacturers warn against downgrading the bootloaders.

• Phoenix

Thks for info - it looks like the 1st generation of these boxes might have been pups!
    I don't see a the CT site anymore, so am I correct in thinking that the CT-XT Support Images are the official images for this box now?
    Prefer a lean slim stable image with no frills, which I can add to as I need, so might stay where I am.
    WW

• yes that's the official image. i cant speak for any other image but in ViX were actively in the process of stripping our images back to reduce size while still retaining the option for users to install the features they know and want them selves.

• Phoenix, just to let you know I bit the bullet and upgraded bootloader to latest (nov2011) and loaded up ViX 2.3.
    So far, things going well, once I get used to the menu structure and remote key changes - EGAMI seemed to be different in that respect.
    After a few initial crashes (after loading my channel lists, but not having any tuners configured) all seems to be working okay.
    EPG setup and working as before, recording not tested yet, oscam working and clearing tntsat card, need to read up more on timeshift.
    Main thing I find different is that physical remote control keys actually map to the functions in the image.

WW

• Phoenix, just to let you know I bit the bullet and upgraded bootloader to latest (nov2011) and loaded up ViX 2.3.
    So far, things going well, once I get used to the menu structure and remote key changes - EGAMI seemed to be different in that respect.
    After a few initial crashes (after loading my channel lists, but not having any tuners configured) all seems to be working okay.
    EPG setup and working as before, recording not tested yet, oscam working and clearing tntsat card, need to read up more on timeshift.
    Main thing I find different is that physical remote control keys actually map to the functions in the image.

WW

yeah andy ( the creator of ViX ) has spent a massive amount of time mapping all of the buttons him self so that they do what there supposed to, it was andy who figured out how to get the qwerty keyboard on the Vu ultimo remote working as when it was shipped in beta tests that part of the remote did not function. ViX may not be to every ones liking but i honestly find it to be the most user friendly and well laid out image there is. and were constantly improving it so stay tuned for a new release ( cant give dates or ETA's but hopefully it wont be long ).

• Phoenix, just a follow up on ViX image, have decided to reload EGAMI image for the moment, mainly because the image is too unstable for me - issues with frozen screen, timeshift crashing E2. Much to my surprise I was able to reflash EGAMI on top of latest bootloader and it seems to work no problem, even after powering down the box a number of times!
    Thought this was not supposed to work?

Might try ViX again after rugby this weekend - need to be sure that I can record games in HD

WW

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!