Talk talk dodgy routers

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 492 times. The last Post () by allrounder55.

• Here is a strange one guys regarding what i would call zero security routers, i fitted an evo box for a mate recently and to my surprise after 3 days they had no channels,all seems strange to me but tbvh i aint surprised really, the box had cams installed i did not put on and i know for a fact my mate or his wife would not have been able to do this either.

I was sure i stopped any form of external abuse like telnet/openwebif etc but maybe i did not do this, i defo changed the ftp pass like i always do but the box just seemed to lock up and die.===first time thats happened to me....a reflash got the box back on track anyway...

The router in question is a talk talk 5 green light blinking heep of shite, i never actually took the model number but maybe i thought i would rather die myself than waste my time looking for it...

Anyway to make things clear i went back round and reset the router via the pin option, changed default web gui pass which i probably should have done from the start.....i then done some other checks,, as usual with most factory routers upnp was turned on//now off i then explored more and seen another dreadful backdoor...flooping samba activated on the router...samba i always de-activate if its on with any box but this dalm router seems to have this on as default aswell as upnp...turn both of these off if you have this stupid router guys...

I knew there was a reason i never use stock routers but what is really worrying is most people wont actually realise how insecure thier stock router is !

I was also able to change the dns servers to google with this shitty router.....fortunately...

• I have this TalkTalk router i cant even goto my default login address that doesnt work i have to reset the thing to make any changes. Its detected on my network as a Huwaii HG633. I use a dedicated linksys vpn router bridged between my TalkTalk router and my ZGemma box. Just to make sure my ip address isnt showing. Thats got so many configuration settings it can be confusing, but at least it works. The performance is affected but thats the way it goes. I used to use kodi through my vpn on my laptop but i got sick of the add ons being closed down, but it was great in the beginning.

• I always use google dns settings on all my lan wi fi vpn adapters. It prevents dns leaks better to be safe. Especially with this get it right government campaign thats been introduced. Ive tested my vpn and dns using whatsmyip and doileak all good no issues. But there is an issue in windows 10 If you have IVP6 enabled on your adapter your dns will leak. Also the edge browser uses location services so if a request through http fails it uses other protocols to locate you. Just make sure you turn off location services then your safe. I checked torrents too tcp and udp no issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!