VPN and my IP history?

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 962 times. The last Post () by seagen.

• I hope it`s ok to ask the question here, I couldn`t find any thread related to it. After flirting with getting a VPN I decided last week to take the plunge and got a great deal on a 3 year subscription with one of the best rated VPNs. But while I was searching for a good deal, I came across a link that, when opened it showed everything I had downloaded lately. I was amazed (not surprised) at the info showing. Thing is I forgot where this link took me. Since I now have a VPN I would like to go back to this link and see if the VPN is doing its job. Does anyone know the site that shows this info? I`ve tried searching for it over the past couple of days buy can`t find it.

Thanx.

bo.

• All the site is doing is returning torrent downloads for a particular ip address. Anyone that used, i say used (does anybody really download torrents anymore)... knew downloading torrents left a trace and could be linked to your ip address.

And if you really need to download torrents, always use a proxy or vpn to download. What ever you are after downloading there is a lot better alternatives than torrents nowadays.

I personally think that site is a bit dodgy. To test a VPN all you have to do is go onto any of the other hundreds of whats my ip address websites. For example...

https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

or use a proxy judge

http://azenv.net/

Test it without your vpn running, test it again once your vpn is running. If its different your vpn is working.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• try DOILEAK that will catch you out the ip checkers arent thorough enough, bascially the doileak checks for DNS on your browser and gives you the option to check for torrents using either TCP/UDP. If youre not running a dns your isp provider can show especially in google chrome also chrome has a vulnerability in WEB RTC you need the extension as to block it otherwise your ip can leak through that too. Edge browser is better but still can show your location as when http requests are sent if they fail location services kick in and use other protocols to locate you. Turn off location services in edge. The last vulnerability in windows 10 is if you have IVP6 enabled that can show your ip address too

heres a link to in my opinion the best sites for checking your ip

https://vpnreviewer.com/best-sites-check-ip-leaks-2016 i know its a liitle outdated but the sites are good. have extensive checks too.

• Official Post

Virtuell Private Network history.

I am so old so I was here when networking and Internet first hit us with dial up modems.

So what we have is Lan "Local area Network" and Wan "Wide are network"

When we are in the Lan we use private network ipadresses like 192.168.1.10 and those and since we are in an Lan we can have the same

adress in several networks.

But as soon as we need to contact a Wan network we need an public Ipadress and they are all uniq.

With the old Dialup we cold connect to other private networks with an phonecall to an Dialup server that provided us with loggins and ipadress.

This is what VPN emulate over wan connection. But now its your computer or other divice that makes an IP dialup to an VPN server

that recives your call and provide you with loggins and ipadress.

But here comes the catch.... Yes your traffic to the server will be hidden and crypted but the traffic from the VPN server out on the Internet will not be.

And if you think that some company will be responcible for illegal activity on your behalf well then you need to re think.

As long as the torrent download server is on the Internet and not behind the same private network as the VPN server there will allways be a way

for the athority to trace back your activity, and when people starts to bundle up to one place, well then it would be even more easy to make a big

catch of illegal use.

In my opinion the popping up of VPN servers all over the world is just a scam to earn money on people who is scared and do illegal stuff on the net.

Only time that VPN is 100% secure is when used as piont to point connection betwen two host in private networking where all host are inside

that network.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!