Any way to repair corrupt internal flash on Duo2?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,373 times. The last Post () by jenseneverest.

• Hi folks,

I've a genuine/original/non clone Vu+ Duo2 and it start acting up on me last week. Random crashes, green screens, blue screens etc., various log files perused for literally hours, removed tuners, booted with and without etc., basically tried everything to troubleshoot and after many hours of troubleshooting I've come to the opinion that the internal flash memory has become corrupted as I've finally managed to get OpenMultiboot installed, booting and working perfect with no crashing etc.,

So to me anyway it points to the internal flash/nand or whatever memory being corrupt, having bad sectors and so forth.

Is there any utility for the vu+ duo2 like dreamup on the dreamboxes that you can use with a null modem cable to repair the flash and map bad sectors? I've searched around, can't seem to find anything.

Seems awful that there's no such utility available :(

The place in Germany I got the box from wanted 120 euro to install a new board + then another 45 euro for a new internal power supply board and on top of all that 50 euro for labour/time plus I'd have to also pay for crazy expensive postage to Germany from Ireland.

I ended up just buying a genuine Dreambox DM900 with a DvbT and S2X triple tuner instead and it'll hopefully be delivered tomorrow as I wasn't prepared to pay over 200 euro to fix what looks like is just dodgy corrupted flash memory but I still really love the Duo2 and though I've gotten it back going now via OpenMultiboot on a USB flash drive, I'd still like to repair it proper.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Official Post

Ok i have seen a similar issue on a non VU box....

If you can find the bootloader for the box and flash that via usb stick, it should handle the bad blocks.

IE -- it will move the bad blocks to a safe sector ( however that is not possible if there are bad blocks in the very first sector)

How many bad blocks has it got ??

Another option is to replace the nand with a pre programmed chip. professional tools and knowledge are required..........

Have you tried flashing it with software manager (betacenturi plugin) online flash ??

• If you are able to reflash the bootloader try to flash the genuine Vu+ original image afterwards before any other images....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• Hey lads, thanks and yeah have flashed and reflashed the bootloader couple of times, no problems there at all it seemed, loaded original images, old ones and newer ones. It was no difference unfortunately.

Only thing that seems to work is the multibooting and running the images from the external USB flash drive.

I don't know how many bad blocks there are on the internal flash memory.

This happened before on an old dreambox dm800hd/pvr genuine and I just ran the dreamup utility to map the bad blocks away. Cannot find something similar to that utility for the Vu Duo2 though but I reckon something like that would sort my problems out.

• Official Post

im not convinced its a corrupt flash, IMHO its a power supply issue..... (the usb ports have there own power supply for multiboot)

I did a write up on my xpeed lx3 (very similar to the duo2) here:

Xpeed LX3 repair to power supply **ALL XPEED LX3 OWNERS SHOULD CHECK THEIR BOX**

also found this :

https://moltensolder.wordpress…015/11/09/vu-duo2-faulty/

The later post is a bit over the top, but may be a contact to local help

A serial port log would also help see here:

http://www.vuplus-community.ne…duo2-boot-up-issue.24959/

VU+ DUO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!