Leaning how to make my own plugin

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,063 times. The last Post () by Nitro123.

• Hi guys I’m leaning how to make my own plugin is the basic file to learn first python then moving to the next steps ? I haven’t tried anything yet just want to be sure if that’s the right file I should be looking in it.

• Have a look at the attached document and ipk

Also KiddaC has a nice tutorial that goes into more details within python but I can't find it in my pm's and I'm not on my laptop.

Depending on what you want to do have a look at oe-alliance github where you can read python code of main plugins used within enigma2 https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-plugins

• Hi.

Ok will have a look at the attached file. Also I did message KiddaC and he told me he didn’t know first how to make a plugin also he started with the tutorial python and he’s got some experience about coding and changing codes jx is his first ever plugin he’s made.

• I think most people start with that ihad tutorial just to get you up and running.

Then its just a case of having an idea of what you want to do. Finding a plugin that does something similar. Find that snippet of code. Personalise it. Then on to the next bit. It's just trial an error at first and lots of reboots. As you mention. My jedi plugin was written with no prior knowledge of how to write enigma2 plugins or python. The plugin bits were learnt from other plugins as found on oealliance github. The python bits were taken from python books and lots of googling.

Just start simple.

Get you plugin to appear in the plugin list. It doesn't even have to do anything at that stage.

Then Maybe get your plugin to also appear in the main menu or another menu.

Have a setting page, that has various inputs like a choice or a text entry, then get these options to save in the settings file.

Learn how to implement the currently installed skin over your plugin so you don't then have to worry about learning simple skinning.

Its just building blocks really.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• Kiddac which is the iHad tutorial I’m googling it and i cant find it also yes I have a plugin ready to launch also when you say find that snippet of code what do you mean ? Also is the python file important in the plugin or not ? Cause that’s the hardest to learn python.

And also how do I make the plugin appear on the box if it doesn’t have no files on it ? I got the skins and plugin ready just need to get the other files ready if python file is not important.

• Nitro to be perfectly honest mate and without souding rude, I think you are trying to run before you can walk at the moment. I am total confused about what you are saying, and I think you are totally confused by what we are saying. And nobody even knows what you are trying to achieve, whether that be the simplest little plugin or a full blown app.

Dsayers in post2, clearly gives you the ihad pdf (plugin-tutorial.pdf) to read and go through (which is very easy, basic and informative). You didn't even read that post and instead said you couldn't find it on google. *sigh*. You just need to slow down, read that pdf, you need to write your "hello world" plugin first and understand what is going on with it.

In a private message last month you quote "But I’m not a expert at reading codes".

You need to be able to read code before you write code. If you can't read and interpret the code and get the gist of what is going on you are really really going to struggle then to actually write/amend your own code. Not everyone can write/understand programming languages. You either get it or you don't. But don't expect to learn how to do everything in a day. You have to learn programming structure first. You have to learn the terminology. You have to put the time and research in. How can you google how to do something, if you don't know the terminology phrase to search for your answer in the first place.

And I am confusing you mentioning plugin code and python code. It is all written in python. You need to learn the basics of python to do anything.

By plugin code I was just refering to existing enigma2 python modules that other people import and reference in their plugins. Basically they have done the hard work for you, so you don't have to know whats going on in an actionmap / choicelist / config component etc. You can just copy what other people have wrote to achieve the same thing. For example... how to write a red button on screen, how to label that button, how to link that button to then go to another screen, these are all done via existing enigma2 python components so you just have to know how to correctly reference them by learning off others, but you still then need to write your own python code to do what you want to do.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Edited 3 times, last by KiddaC ().

• Yeah it is confusing me this coding I will go back to the drawing board and try leaning this then come back stronger.

Like kiddac you have said I’m trying to run before walking I’m trying to rush through it and think it’s easy but it’s not. The hardest file is to learn I think is python and it may take me 2 or 3 months probably to learn python.

Thanks you guys for all the replies and your time. Much appreciated

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!