Oscam CPU target emulation using qemu in Ubuntu.

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,085 times. The last Post () by DANNYPS4.

• Oscam CPU target emulation using qemu in Ubuntu.

To admins, I am posting in this area as I could not find any other appropriate area. Who knows then, maybe we should not be talking about this here!. In any case, feel free to move or delete any that you may feel is wrong. But please notice that this tool could help many as people with oscam knowledge could try to emulate to guess problem/solution.

1) Objective, Qemu emulation to test OS/programs in hardware we do not have. Like android boxes or routers with weird CPUs. Or may be any of those generic arduinos

For example take a look in:

looking for oscam binary to LEDE 17 - OpenWRT based FW on router MIPS (D-Link)

In that thread our friend s3n0 ask for help for a target router that maybe no one else has! So how can he get help?

We all could emulate it in qemu, do a little test and share our findings. Well that sound easy, but it may not always work as advertise. But worth trying.

2) I had use qemu in the past but never got the Sharing/Bridge network between Ubuntu and qemu. So I had not tested oscam yet as it requires network. Very soon will do.

3) Just today I got a workable Bridge network between Ubuntu 18.4/qemu. Soon I will be posting a tutorial on how to set it your self, Just let me test oscam to make sure I do not hit a wall at the end.

4) My test setup, I will next try to use Ubuntu running TVHeadEnd connected to a USB/PCSAT, Normally it will request/connect to oscam running in same Linux Ubuntu. And a simple play list is use with VLC to change channels.

To emulate we will disable normal AMD x64 oscam in Ubuntu. We will still use, VLC, TVHeadend, USB/PCSAT. But Instead we will open a qemu emulation of a MIPSEL CPU router running Lede/Openwrt. In the emulation, we will install the appropriate mipsel version of oscam and expect it to answer VLC.by returning decoded TS stream.

This is not new, possibly some one here has do it hundred of time. But I have not seen it posted. So hopefully I can do some test and post my results in the next days. See you soon.

• Part1

Not enough time to do all I want. Then the little time I had spent it searching for more info. So to start rolling the ball I will change tactics. Instead of a Full Tested Tutorial, lets start little at a time.

Objective:

First lets start by saying that the main objective is not show you how to do oscam in your PC. For that there hundred of thread in this forum. Instead we will focus in how to prepare our PC to emulate other CPU targets, like Mips, Mipsel, ARM, etc.

Prerequisites:

So I assume that you know, have available and working - source of encrypted ts stream ( Linux receiver like Dreambox or generics, USB/PCI PC SAT device, and a front-end tuner program like TVHeadend.), and you have VLC or similar. Final that you have a PC with Linux. Ubuntu/Debian derivatives for the most part is the standard. I use Lubuntu 18.4 for this test. And in general I strongly suggest you have oscam running on your Linux PC. So you all ready learn how to deal with it and have all the necessary con fig files in your hand ready.

Notes:

All web link will be shown as _http instead of http to prevent hot links.

I will place a # in front of required Linux command. like

• #ls

It is assume that $HOME points to your user area in Ubuntu. And $USER show user. So test it to verify correctness

• #echo $HOME
    • #echo $USER

On every session/boot you will start your date with

• #sudo apt update

Text Editor - I always used Lubuntu text editor called “leafpad” you can any you like, nano, vi, visudo etc. Just adjust my cmd line every time you see leafpad.

File manager. Lubuntu default file manager is “pcmanfm” but if you are in Ubuntu you may use nautilus. Again adjust as needed. To get access to root file manger I do, #sudo pcmanfm. You may try #sudo nautilus or maybe #sudogtk nautilus.

make. make compilation speed can be do it faster using ccache. Also if you have a PC/CPU with multi core. STOP all other process, close all windows and allow the PC to use ALL core to compile. then you add option “-j#” to make. Where # is the number of cores +1. So if you have an 8 core machine you use 9. or do “#make -j9“ to compile. So you will see that I post “#make -j9“ you need to adjust to your needs.

Requirements for development:

• #sudo apt update

wget - Easy cmd downloads

• #sudo apt install wget

Compiling Tools

• #sudo apt install build-essential subversion git-core libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk flex quilt libssl-dev xsltproc libxml-parser-perl mercurial bzr ecj cvs unzip
    • #sudo apt install subversion dialog make gcc nano

ccache - this improves speed when using repetitive “make” as it should store a cache of compiled files to prevent recompilation.

• #sudo apt install ccache

lets test it with

• #ccache -s
    • #ccache -V

bridge-utils net-tools - we need this to create network bridge between Ubuntu and qemu running image. Yes to provide network to oscam inside qemu.

• #sudo apt install bridge-utils net-tools

$HOME/bin - this directory is not automatically created by Ubuntu. But it is all ready setup to pick up and use if it is in the path available. So lets create it for future use

• #mkdir $HOME/bin

$HOME/workspace - to prevent having all files around lets have a single workspace area.

• #mkdir $HOME/workspace

continue>>

• Part2

Qemu:

Please read wiki to inform you what is qemu.

For the emulation we use qemu. Most people just do “apt install qemu”. But that is trouble. As some of new images available will not execute correctly as the version install is old 2.11!! Instead we need to compile the latest 3.0. You can get info:

• _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
    • _https://wiki.qemu.org/
    • _https://www.qemu.org/

• #mkdir $HOME/workspace/qemu
    • #cd $HOME/workspace/qemu
    • #sudo apt-get install libpixman-1-dev libfdt-dev zlib1g-dev libglib2.0-dev libsdl-dev
    • #wget https://download.qemu.org/qemu-3.0.0.tar.xz
    • #tar xvJf qemu-3.0.0.tar.xz
    • #cd qemu-3.0.0
    • #./configure --target-list=mipsel-softmmu
    • #make -j3
    • #sudo make install

note: I suggest you do

• #./configure --target-list=mipsel-softmmu

this is the fastest build ONLY for mipsel. But if you what it all then do

• #./configure

Now Trial and error corrections. After many hours of test I found we need to create some more manual setup.

• #echo "allow br-lan" > $HOME/workspace/qemu/bridge.conf
    • #echo "allow br-wan" >> $HOME/workspace/qemu/bridge.conf
    • #sudo mkdir /usr/local/etc/qemu
    • #sudo cp $HOME/workspace/qemu/bridge.conf /usr/local/etc/qemu/bridge.conf
    • #sudo chown $USER:$USER -R /usr/local/etc/qemu
    • #sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper

Now let me make a small explanation on br-lan & br-wan. And why we need to config qemu to allow this two.

Please do

• #ifconfig

See my example:

enp0s25: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet 192.168.3.02 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.3.255

inet6 FFFF::FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>

ether 00:00:00:00:00:01 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

RX packets 77458 bytes 109465919 (109.4 MB)

RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0

TX packets 52941 bytes 4531156 (4.5 MB)

TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

device interrupt 19 memory 0xf0500000-f0520000

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>

loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)

RX packets 2387 bytes 149460 (149.4 KB)

RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0

TX packets 2387 bytes 149460 (149.4 KB)

TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

I have two REAL Network Devices that have a nickname, in my example “lo” the loop and "enp0s25“ an Ethernet Port. If you have Wifi then it may be a third.

Now normally one of them have Internet access. We will need to share this access with the image running inside qemu. So that the mipsel oscam can communicate with your VLC and tuni8g front-end. I am sure you understand this. Now we are emulating/visualizing a Router. A router have at least two side or Ports. Normally Called WAN and LAN. Its is tru WAN that the Router Talk to the WEB. It is tru the LAN that the Router share that connection with the PC/phone/printers or Users. But we want to bridge our Internet Access in the Ubuntu PC. To do that we create to new Virtual Network Devices and bridge them that we are going to call “br-lan” & “br-wan”. In the future when we do ifconfig we will see this two new virtual devices. But ONLY when we Manually add them. To add/activate them we will use a script the we will call “host-network-setup.sh”

continue>> we need to allow sudo access to the helper( I have this broken need to fix),

we need to set up scripts to set bridges,call qemu

and enable rootfs/hda, set network and finally call oscam inside emu emulation.

• Part #3

To prevent confusion, I am trying to take small explanation breaks from time to time. I know this is hard stuff. Last time we spoke about the router image and how it need a LAN and WAN network port. To day I will explain a qemu start cmd a little so you know what is needed and why we do things.

Lets explained qemu cmd.

qemu-system-mipsel

• -M malta
    • -kernel $HOME/bin/malta/lede-malta-le-vmlinux-initramfs.elf
    • -append "root=/dev/sda”
    • -nographic
    • -m 128
    • -hda $HOME/bin/malta/malta-le-root.ext4
    • -netdev bridge,id=wan,br="$BR_WAN,helper=$HELPER" -device pcnet,netdev=wan,mac="$MAC_WAN" \
    • -netdev bridge,id=lan,br="$BR_LAN,helper=$HELPER" -device pcnet,netdev=lan,mac="$MAC_LAN"

qemu-system-mipsel = main emulator for mipsel

-M malta = tell it uses a malta image, I am not sure as why it is needed

-kernel [file] = point to the file containing the kernel

-append "root=/dev/sda” = a way for qemu to allow us to pass boot cmds to the kernel at boot time.

-nographic = clearly we do not have a dedicated monitor hook to the emulation. nographic will forward then all stdio output to the qemu monitor screen.

-m # = this tell how much ram memory we will emulate

DISK’s: -hda [file] or -Disk etc.

• = point to the file containing the disks to be added to /dev/*

Network

• -netdev bridge - in our case we use netdev bridge. We need to used twice because one is for “br-lan” & “br-wan”

other usefull

rootfs

-initrd [file] - normally for linux bootloaders this is required. I may used it in the future.

Why I tell you this? Well most of the time in Ubuntu we run programs as users. But there are stuff that setup the Linux environment that requires root access or “sudo”. In our example “sudo” is required to establish the bridge. But we do not want to give qemu root privileges!! As we quickly will think and worry that the images been tested will have root acces!!!! Wao what a dilemma!!!

Many Ubuntu users uses virtio for this. I never had used it. More stuff to learn, but you can try. qemu suggest to use the “helper” it is in HELPER="/usr/local/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper". Then we give root access only to HELPER that is only uses to set network, and no other program or image have root access.

IMPORTANT PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU FEEL UNCONFORTABLE, I AM ONLY EXPLAINING HOW IS DONE. IF YOU BREAK /etc/sudoers.d/ YOU MAY NOT GET SUDO ACCES AGAIN!!! WILL REQUIRE SYSTEM REPAIR. SO WHEN DOING MODS TO THIS SYSTEM FILES WE NEED TO BE CAREFUL AND HAVE LINUX LIVE CD AROUND JUST IN CASE WE NEED TO REPAIR THIS. YOU BEEN WARNED PLEASE READ FOR MORE INFO

_https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-edit-the-sudoers-file-on-ubuntu-and-centos

_https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

So You can then ignore for now the following steps in this Part 3, until you feel confortable or others posted they done it. It is not that important. As you can overcome the problem by addinf sudo when you call the script. I will then proceed to explain anyway how to give "/usr/local/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper". For this we use /etc/sudoers.

Setting up /etc/sudoers:

IMPORTANT

This is what I do prevent looking me out of sudo PLEASE use careful at your own risk. I will be leaving a Filmanager Opened and ready just in case sudo does not work again. I open a separate cmd and do:

• #sudo pcmanfm

A new File Manager opens but with root privileges. Please leave this open and untouched. Is here just in case we need it. After using visudo and exiting we my find “sudo" broken leaving us out. This will allow us to test we have not broken sudo and return to this elevated File manager all ready open and ready to do any repairs. So to test sudo, go an open a new terminal and run any program in sudo like “#sudo leafpad test.txt”. If sudo is broken it will complain. But as we have leave the previews File Manager we can still use it to delete old /etc/sudoers.d/qemu. Got it.

1rst make sure you had read:

_https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-edit-the-sudoers-file-on-ubuntu-and-centos

• #sudo addgroup qemu
    • #sudo adduser $USER qemu
    • #sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers.d/qemu

It should have opened nano. Be careful. C & P the following 2 lines:

Code
    Cmnd_Alias QEMU = /sbin/brctl, /sbin/ifconfig
    %qemu ALL=NOPASSWD: QEMU

Now let exit and save: [ctrl]+X, y, [enter] *** I know you saw .tmp but it does not matters it does save the correct file .

Now open a new terminal test sudo, for example

• #sudo date

if sudo is broken please delete /etc/sudoers.d/qemu

And test that sudo works again. Then retry to edit sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers.d/qemu

continue >>

• Part #4

If you are here we assume you got your /etc/sudoers.d/qemu working or decided to postpone and then use sudo with the qemu script temporally. Now lets continue.

• #sudo chown root:qemu /usr/local/etc/qemu/bridge.conf
    • #sudo chmod 0640 /usr/local/etc/qemu/bridge.conf

Let me start by saying all this is not new nor created by me. I am only adding all pieces together to make it easy for you. Just search for “CCreate Linux bridge $BR_WAN $BR_LAN”

Lets now create our scripts.

WE will need 3 scripts. 1rst one set the bridges in Ubuntu. WE will need some info from our network. Make sure your network is up and working. So go to Explorer and open google to test it. Then just close it not needed anymore. if you get error latter you can always do ifconfig to get the manual info:

• #ifconfig

If you recalled from my example it show that my network is at

See my example:

enp0s25: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

• inet 192.168.3.02 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.3.255
    • inet6 FFFF::FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
    • ether 00:00:00:00:00:01 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    • RX packets 77458 bytes 109465919 (109.4 MB)
    • RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    • TX packets 52941 bytes 4531156 (4.5 MB)
    • TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
    • device interrupt 19 memory 0xf0500000-f0520000

But more simple, keep this handy you will need to:

• #echo WAN_GATEWAY=\"$(ip route | awk '/default/ { print $3 }')\"
    • #echo WAN_IPADDRESS=\"$(ip route get 8.8.8.8 | awk ' { print $7 }')\"
    • #echo IF_INET=\"$(ip route | awk '/default/ { print $5 }')\"

• #cd $HOME\bin
    • #leafpad host-network-setup.sh

C&P the following

• #leafpad start-malta-instance.sh

C&P the following

Save and Exit.

continue>>

• Part #5

Ok lets continue.

• #mkdir $HOME/bin/malta
    • #cd $HOME/bin/malta
    • #echo WAN_GATEWAY=\"$(ip route | awk '/default/ { print $3 }')\"
    • #echo WAN_IPADDRESS=\"$(ip route get 8.8.8.8 | awk ' { print $7 }')\"

keep those handy in my case it shows:

WAN_GATEWAY="192.168.3.1"

WAN_IPADDRESS="192.168.3.52"

• #leafpad openwrt-wan-setup.sh

C&P the following

Save and Exit.

Now lest download the malta image:

Please download also the files for oscam

• #unzip -P oscam-patched root.zip

rootfs:

I do not know how to do this correctly so that we can have a permanent root files and any opkg upgrade we make!. Sorry. But we can set up mount to have disk point to our \root area. Now lets create our own sda disk, to store our files.

creating a 516 mg unformatted disk image

• #dd if=/dev/zero of=malta-le-root.ext4 bs=1M count=516

Formatting the image to ext4

• #mkfs.ext4 malta-le-root.ext4

mounting the empty image

• #sudo mount -o loop malta-le-root.ext4 mnt

Now we can copy/setup all the files we need to have on /root. Please notice that when in LEDE/Openwrt user files are normally store at /root. But our Hardisk will be mounted like this “mount /dev/sda /root”. This means that even when in OpenWrt we use /root. In fact files in malta-le-root.ext4 are store at /. One more time all the files we store in $HOME/bin/malta/mnt/ will show later in Openwrt /root. I hope you go it.

Lets copy the files:

• #sudo cp openwrt-wan-setup.sh mnt
    • #sudo cp -R root/oscam mnt
    • #sudo chmod +x mnt/openwrt-wan-setup.sh
    • #sudo chmod +x mnt/oscam/oscam

Lets unmount our disk image.

• #sudo umount mnt

Now Lets test it all. Reboot your PC. Then make sure you have network by using explore and navigating to google. Lets move to bin folder

• #cd $HOME/bin

Lets see how our Network Looks first.

• #ifconfig

Lets try to set up our bridges. NOTE: if you choose not to do PART#3 then You are required to do #sudo host-network-setup.sh

• #host-network-setup.sh
    • #ifconfig

You should see the new 2 interfaces “br-wan" & “br-lan".

IMPORTAT: after you execute qemu without guy you feel you bcan not quit. To bring up qemu menu you need to do

• #[CTRL]+[ALT]+a then c

To get help write HELP [ENTER]

Now to exit do

• #q [Enter]

Now lets start quemu with malta image

• #start-malta-instance.sh

Your router should start booting. You will see the console info from the kernel posted to the screen:

"[ 0.000000] Linux version 4.9.58 (buildbot@builds) (gcc version 5.5.0 (LEDE GCC 5.5.0 r5217-098afa1) ) #0 SMP Tue Oct 31 02:43:10 2017“

“Please press Enter to activate this console”

But wait until you see

"[ 19.907046] pcnet32 0000:00:0b.0 eth0: link up”

Now you can pres [ENTER] and you will see the LEDE Banner.

continue>>

• Part#6

Last time we had a working malta image running in qemu. Lets start again. Open a terminal:

But wait until you see

"[ 19.907046] pcnet32 0000:00:0b.0 eth0: link up”

Now you can pres [ENTER] and you will see the LEDE Banner.

Lets see what is in /root

• #ls /root

Nothing, Lets check our unfinished Network

• #ifconfig

You will see ONLY etho & lo. You have missing bridges so no REAL network access. But a fake one.

• #ip route

root@LEDE:/# ip route

default via 10.0.2.2 dev eth0 src 10.0.2.15

10.0.2.0/24 dev eth0 scope link src 10.0.2.15

10.0.2.2 dev eth0 scope link src 10.0.2.15

Lets ping google dns and it will not show

• #ping 8.8.8.8 -c 2

Now Lets bring up the network. First we need to mount our hardisk. I have not been able to do it automatically.

• #mount /dev/sda -t ext4 /root

Lets see if we see our files now

• #ls /root

There we go now we see our files

root@LEDE:/# ls /root

lost+found openwrt-wan-setup.sh oscam

Now lets bring up the bridges and the network.

• #/root/openwrt-wan-setup.sh

root@LEDE:/# /root/openwrt-wan-setup.sh

'radio0' is disabled

'radio1' is disabled

'radio0' is disabled

'radio1' is disabled

The warning errors on radios, is telling you that wireless have not been setup. But never mind as it is an emulation and in fact it does not have a wireless!!!

Now lest see again our new network.

• #ifconfig

You will see something like this

OpenWrt router Lan address still as 192.168.1.1. But beware on your host Ubuntu it will be at 192.168.7.1

OpenWrt router Wan address is at 192.168.7.2. But beware on your host Ubuntu it will be at 192.168.1.1

lets see if we got network, lets ping google DNS

• #ping 8.8.8.8 -c 2

This time we have access to network. We can ping our Host Ubuntu.

• #ping 192.168.7.1 -c 2

Now Open another terminal in Ubuntu. Lets ping from Ubuntu to router WAN side.

• #ping 192.168.7.1 -c 2

Lets ping from Ubuntu to router LAN side.

• #ping 192.168.1.1 -c 2

Now let ssh from Ubuntu to the router as if we where a client of the LAN router. To do shh we need first to change the password in the router. Go back to the qemu screen and do

• #passwd[Enter]

Change the password, I will use “admin” as password.

Now go back to Ubuntu terminal and do

• #ssh root@192.168.1.1

And there you go no you can access your router direct from Ubuntu

OSCAM:

Lets make sure our x86 oscam is disabled

• #systemctl status oscam
    • #systemctl stop oscam

verify webif do not answer

Now lets fire up oscam in router. Go back to qemu or do it from shh Ubuntu. lets see 1rst oscan help:

• #/root/oscam/oscam --help

Now that we know it runs, you can go to the config and adjust to your needs. If you feel more conftable you can quit qemu and mount the hdd image in ubuntu as we did. Make changes to /$HOME/bin/malta/mnt/oscam/config directory. Unmount and restart qemu. Then do

• #/root/oscam/oscam

Now go back to ubuntu explore and test if it has webif. It should not answer

Now lets try instead with router address

Yes this time respond from router. You may need to adjust your call to oscam as you have an oscam with new address.

In the future, after installation and test: you will only have to do this to test oscam

Open a terminal

• #host-network-setup.sh
    • #mount /dev/sda -t ext4 /root
    • #/root/openwrt-wan-setup.sh
    • #/root/oscam/oscam

And play the TV. Enjoy.

This is it. I know Long to try. Now imaging the effort I put to write all this.

Since nobody answered and thread is finish, I guess a moderator can move this thread to the tutorial section. Thanks.

• You can do all this none sense handwork to run a oscam mipsel server and it will work. BUT this is to hard. Why do it if you can just run and oscam x86 version natively in Ubuntu.

Your answer is in 1rst post.

So what is all this thread about?. You can use this method to test any variety of oscam version you build for other CPU/OS. All test done not with actual hardware but simulating the hardware in your own Ubuntu PC. Hope this explain a little more.

See ansample where it may help:

looking for oscam binary to LEDE 17 - OpenWRT based FW on router MIPS (D-Link)

Our friend s3n0 ask for help. But I guess no one has his own router so he did not got his expected simple easy answer. Or at least some one that can offer him a working oscam version for his "MediaTek MT7621" mipsel CPU runing "Linux LEDE 4.4.92" OS. All the offered oscam bin did not work for him as they where not compatible with his CPU/OS version.

Now Let me clarify what I said on that thread. That thread was answered as we could do best. And in fact mcsshare did a wonderful explanation on how to build oscam our self. Thanks again.

• When asking for help better to give all info.

Lets leave this tread as a general tutorial. Lets use one of the few post I found on this. Guess lets use:

So that was I guess february 2018. Please update me there on your findings.

2 OSCAM 1 Set Top Box, how???

I am no expert but willing to help you. Now I need more info.

Who own that github _https://github.com/dizzdizzy/HiOSCAM. What makes you think it is official

If that is official and there is problem with oscam why there is no post about it?

From what I see the github explained how to build!!

Please send me a PM with out of this forum info like:

• main forum of receiver
    • any other intent to make oscam for this taht is not on this forum.

Please post about your skills.

Do own PC with Ubuntu?

How are your skill in: Linux, Android, C, Programming, compiling.

Do you know how to access ssh Linux kernel in a Android?

Is your device rooted?

Is your device boot unlock?

What image do you run now.?

What other images you now can be used?

Now I really need to know about CPU/Kernel/os version and in particular C Libs installed. So that we can identify the best tool-chain matching you hardware/software.

Any other info you think will help.

PLEASE again do not post about this here. Use you own Thread.

2 OSCAM 1 Set Top Box, how???

I will be waiting your response.

To others, same suggestion. You can post a request like this here. But lets move on quickly to your own request/need on personal thread. This way we keep all nice and clean Thanks

OSCam Support Forum

Configs, discussion, downloads and guides for OSCam Softcam.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!