server / client on same network problem.

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 527 times. The last Post () by hs5424.

• Will try and keep this as short as possible.

My friend has a connection to my server ( Vu duo box ) for some TV stuff and because he is living in a very rural area and is not serviced by any broadband provider I supply him with a feed from my network using a PtP link. He cannot connect to my server at all. If I try his receiver at another location on a different network it connects perfectly. I seem to recall reading in the past that you can have issues with a client box if it is on the same network as your server. At my friends house I use a separate router which issues IP's which are in a different subnet as those on the network which hosts my server, eg IP's of network hosting server 192.168.1.X. IP's issued at friends house 192.168.0.X . It has been suggested that I setup a Vlan for my server but this is something that I know nothing about .

Any suggestion appreciated.

• I don't understand, I'm afraid, so let's ask some questions...

We are talking about 2 different houses, 2 different public IP addresses?

I will presume this is for CS, since streaming on non-broadband will not work, I'm afraid...??

If this is so, I suggest you should probably create a DynDNS account, like No-IP, so when your IP address changes your friend will be able to connect. CS should work even if it is a slow connection, one hopes... Yours and his subnet specificities, in that case, play no role.

At your end, in your modem, however, you should open a port for him to connect through it. With the correct username/password, as well, of course.

That is, if I understood correctly...

I explained the ins and outs in my "Alternative guides" for both E2 and AZbug HD OS. Please, do a little search on this forum to get them.

Good luck!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Thanks for your reply,

Let me clarify. Yes its CS and I am using oscam. I use a dyndns account and my friends box can connect back to my server if I put it on any other network in any other location. My friends internet feed is the same network as mine which is also hosting my oscam server.

• If you use oscam are you blocking same name ?

You use uniq to block maybe ?

Thanks for the reply,

I have his user setup like this,

As I mentioned in post, his box connects to my server perfectly if its on another network. I use a dyndns account. His internet, mine and the server are all on the same network. I have to use the dyndns account as his ip's are issued from the router in his house. If this was not the case I could have his box connect to my server using the lan ip address.

[account]

user = user

pwd = pass

description = newcamd

group = 1

• Can you configure your router to have multiple LAN IP address's ?

Not sure if I understand your question.

My main core router which hosts my server issues IP addresses in the 192.168.1.1-254 range. The router at my friends house issues IP's in the 192.168.0.1-254 range to anything connected at his house.

Hope this clarify's my setup.

• If he has no bb connection at all, try configuring his router as an access point only, let your router deal with dchp/ ip assign.

He will then be a part of your network effectively (which he is already , by my understanding anyway due to your p2p link, I maybe wrong in understanding your setup though)

If this is the case and you set his router up as an access point, it is only a matter of entering in your server ip (192.168.x.x) in place of your dyn/dns address on his client box and hopefully all will be rosy.

Using a dyn address in the same network as the server can cause NAT loopback and some routers don't support this (going outside your Lan to the www only to be re-directed back to your Lan), this could be your problem as moving to a different connection has positive results.

BTW how far from each other are ye and what method of p2p did you use, I've a similar problem in a family members location and am thinking of tp-link cpe510.

• And if all else fails, simply ask one of your peers with a good server to give him a line and you could do the same with one of his......

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• If he has no bb connection at all, try configuring his router as an access point only, let your router deal with dchp/ ip assign.

He will then be a part of your network effectively (which he is already , by my understanding anyway due to your p2p link, I maybe wrong in understanding your setup though)

If this is the case and you set his router up as an access point, it is only a matter of entering in your server ip (192.168.x.x) in place of your dyn/dns address on his client box and hopefully all will be rosy.

Using a dyn address in the same network as the server can cause NAT loopback and some routers don't support this (going outside your Lan to the www only to be re-directed back to your Lan), this could be your problem as moving to a different connection has positive results.

BTW how far from each other are ye and what method of p2p did you use, I've a similar problem in a family members location and am thinking of tp-link cpe510.

Thanks Codar,

You are correct. I am aware that if I disable the dhcp on his router and give his stb the IP of my server it will work ok. The only problem I had in the past after I did this was when a client defaulted their router. This re-activated the dhcp and caused havoc with my network. This friend is quiet elderly and is non technical so I will take a chance with him. I might cover or disconnect the reset / default button just in case. To answer your question we are 5.5 miles apart. I use Ubiquiti gear and the link has been running for 5 years now. Haven't had to reboot it once. If you need any advice on my setup PM me as I don't want to ruffle any feathers by discussing wisp topics on this forum.

BTW I traced a satellite signal problem last year to someone using Mikrotik ptp link. It was putting out a second harmonic and killing some transponders on Horbird 13e. Turned me off ever considering the product.

Edited once, last by hs5424 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!