DM500HD : PurE2 6.2 2019.01.05 (v3-v5)

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,747 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• Here, from another place - but very relevant here! Well done Delfi, well done TS!

These old machines have seriously well written drivers (low level programming) and semi-decent HW - well, for their time they were great - but even then 64MB flash was really stingy... However, they still have a great quality image, decryption works fine, I tested streaming and playback and they are also fine etc.

Given the small, tiny flash, enter OpenMultiBoot and Flash Expander! (A few others, too - but these are noteworthy...) Small Flash suddenly becomes much bigger and these old ladies can still dance nicely! :)

OpenMultiBoot is installed as a plugin, from which you can install multiple images in a USB stick and it functions well now!

Flash Expander "expands" flash to a USB stick but only some folders...

Delfi of PurE2 went into it "a bit" and got us a little bit happier, I think... or at least less miserable... :cool1:

Here is his text, edited by yours truly...;)

OpenMultiBoot

Delfi's text: In PurE2 "feeds" (= Plugins) this is in Extensions (enigma2-plugin-extensions-openmultiboot) > this is a new one from last release (we have put some effort to make it work :) )

I tested this on my old Ferrari 500HD with Japhar SIM card and it's brilliant!

gorski's 11 theses for 500HD/Japhar SIM bliss with Flash Expander :eye-tongue:

1) First thing one does is one partitions one's BIG and FAST USB 3.0 memory stick into 2 partitions (Mini Tool Partition Wizard freeware under Windows, for instance, is a good tool to do this with).

2) Then, one plugs the USB stick into one's 500HD. Old Ferrari clones have 2 USB ports: internal and external one.

3) Then, one mounts the 2 USB 3.0 stick partitions by going to:

MENU > pManager > Device Manager > Mount Manager > blue button > yellow button (to switch Automount OFF) > Exit > do this for both partitions on the USB stick.

4) Then, do not restart E2 but instead go back to mount those two partitions in a fixed manner, via FSTAB file.

How?

5) This you can do either by using the MENU or the BLUE button, then using the > or < buttons on your remote, changing the mounts to get as follows:

-smaller (say, 2GB) partition as /media/usb (= partition 1)

-bigger (say the rest, i.e. 30GB of 32GB USB stick) partition as /media/hdd (= partition 2)

6) Press OK to write it into the FSTAB file, then out of 3 options choose RESTART THE BOX. The box reboots.

(If it doesn't work the first time round, the second time it will be as you want it to be!)

7) Now, go to MENU > Plugins > Extensions > see above post and install this plugin, i.e. Flash Expander.

8) Exit and if necessary restart E2, then go back to Plugins > start Flash Expander and use it to move the /usr folder to the smaller 2GB partition (it will later on appear as /usr in various menus, as you'll see soon). Restart will follow, when it moves the /usr folder content to USB /media/usb partition.

9) I then use a SWAP Manager, which you will find in the same part of pManager, to create a SWAP file (512MB), activate it and I also make it "autostart" with E2.

This is the result, firstly showing the partitions using "df -h" command and then "before and after" SWAP creation, using "free" command:

10) Now, we can start downloading

-plugins/addons (like Franc's FNC plugins, then ffmpeg package for E2iPlayer etc. etc.)

-tools you may need (like Dream Explorer)

-skins you may want to have extra

-picons galore

-EPG

-etc. etc.

and

11) direct them all to /media/hdd (partition 2), just like we directed SWAP file to it...

Only the careful configuration of it all will ensure all will be well with our "oldie but goldie"!!! :thumbup:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• "Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!