Info for noobs

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 741 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• Hands up I am a noob, I read and try and find what I am looking for, the problem is. how do I know what I am looking for.

So what I thought was.

When someone shares a file, program, plug in etc. They also put a small description of what it is ans does, if not that, then perhaps a link of some sort to where we can find the information. (i appreciate the problem with direct links, but maybe something could be done)

just an example, I have the GigaBlue 800SE I installed cool tv, but my remote does not do as I think it should, (i am going to look into this further after the footy)

I saw gb800-ZapStatistic and wonder if it will help. But that is my point, very rarely does any download come with any info of what it does..

Let me end in saying, I appreciate every single download and the effort made in sharing the said downloads, and that this would add to the work load, but just a line or two a brief description would get everyone going in the right direction..and help noobs pick up bits and pieces along the way

So what do you think

• When I upload a file, I usually put a description of what it does or what it is for. Most of the files I find have something describing the function. You won't find full instructions on how to use these files, because mostly they are self explanatory. Once you get used to using E2 receivers, then using the addons will become second nature. I don't think that many people would read the instructions on how to use a file for your PC you have downloaded, because in using the PC over time, it becomes second nature. Best thing to do, is take your time, appreciate that you won't learn everything straight away, and try things out. What is the worst that can happen?:haha:

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Official Post

Nice idea mrgmx but this would soon become an absolute nightmare to keep updated, imo the majority of files here already give more than sufficient info to explain what they do.

Using the example you quoted
    Universal USB Installer latest version

In post 1 of this topic it tells you exactly what it does

This tool will let you install linux via a usb stick, very handy if you have a faulty cd/dvd drive or net book with no drive.
    I have used this myself and it works 100%

If any noob is unsure what a certain tool they could always use the forum for the purpose it was intended for.........................ask, people will help.

• This forum is big. There are lots of sections, and contributions come from the public for the public, so by nature, it won't be as organised as a website designed by a business for commercial purposes.

There are sections, which give a clue - i.e. - Navigon Europe is in the Android section. Andriod is a phone or tablet, so you know it is not for a receiver, and it has some instructions as to what to do. Enigma Web TV is in the tools section, so it is also clear enough that you don't use this on your receiver. There are search engines that can fill in the bits that are left out.

A lot of hard work goes in to the forum from a lot of dedicated people, and to ask them to do more than they are already doing isn't too fair. I think as I said before, people should learn to evolve in the hobby, learn to walk before they can run, and not expect themselves to understand everything in a short space of time. But as I said, remember that this is a forum, so we welcome useful contributions from everyone, but we can't dictate what they have to include with an upload. As far as I see it, and as most people do, so long as it is in the right section, and carries a brief description, then this is absolutely fine.

• Hi
    This suggestion was not intended as a dig or moan at anyone or the hard work that goes into sharing any ones work.

as stated by others, it is aimed at complete beginners and those wanting to look under the bonnet, all to often (not seen it here, not been here long enough to have an informed opinion) some of the more experienced users get fed up of noob questions and voice their frustration.

On here yes a lot of the uploads/downloads do indeed have a description, the USB being the perfect example and if all shares were like that, I would say that is perfect, and as said, any further clarification can be asked for.

Once again, at no time is this a criticism of the site or how it is run.

This suggestion was not intended as a dig or moan at anyone or the hard work that goes into sharing any ones work.

Don't worry, it wasn't taken in that way, this section is for suggestions and we welcome suggestions. People who are on this forum a lot who upload files might have seen this thread and may well have taken on board the feedback and maybe spend a tad more time in the file descriptions moving forward. It is a collective effort, so feedback is always welcome.

beer10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!