Remote connection to STB via OpenVPN

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 644 times. The last Post () by sebus.

• 8ymOO.jpg

Hi friends, as you can see from my uploaded image, I have this situation.

In my office I only have the Zgemma connected to internet, as you can see in the draw. This STB is for ever powered on, for more reason i need to connect to it remotely from my Home PC through ports 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP) and 23 (Telnet) but i don’t want to forward theese port on my office router, because i don’t want to take risks.

Now i would like to know if is possible to make a OpenVPN configuration directly on my OFFICE STB (and not on router), so i can connect from my Home PC or my Smartphone to my OFFICE STB and use services like i’m in my Office LAN?

PS: I’m not interested in use OpenVPN to hide my real IP etc, i only want to use it to connect to my STB in safe.

Thanks.

• You do have static IP on your home connection? If not, then worth getting one!

If so then you can make the STB available to internet (with port forwarding) locked to only your Public static home IP

Easiest, simplest, quickest

Otherwise search for "Guide to setting up an OpenVPN server on Vix"

You will need to change one site (either) IP addressing (as they can not be identical), and you can setup STB to be VPN Server (to which home client connects)

But personally I think it would be easier to have Raspberry Pi in the Office site as VPN server

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!