Is closed source comming to OE 2.0 also.

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 653 times. The last Post () by emosim.

• Official Post

As my thread is named, Is closed source also comming to Enigma2 OE 2.0?

Why do i ask this, For sometime Dreambox has chosen to close its source DreamOS OE 2.5/2.6

but i also see that some image builders and plugin creators have started to close source some of their code also. (Compiling code into .so files)

In one way can understand when you spent alot of free work to create something you dont want someone else to just ripp it of and re publish.

but at the same time its the ide of open source that have been the heart of this project and in many ways also push the developments forward.

with open source code we could learn from each other and exhange knowledge.

And the whole OE-Alliance project was built on this ide.

But i want to raise the question and hope we can have a cival conversation about this. (Pro&Cons) :)

And please we do not hang anyone out. Not plugin coders or image builders!!!

This is my personal opinion not in anyway the opinion of Linuxsat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

• The true power is in your hands people, stop supporting/using closed-source things as clearly they're violating GPL license.

I'm curious how people trust binaries with not having spyware or something ...

Edited once, last by seagen: I removed the link since i dont want to start a war, I just want to now peoples opinion about this and not going after any Teams or Plugin Developers. ().

• Generally I seen on past 50 years that some people use things other do and their “Team” to become a star, this generally get some people unwilling to be part of that behavior and so prefer to stay far away of such characters, so they do on the shadow as PurE2 team doing an excellent job, I love their images that are the best around, they even have a private test image for Dreamone built from DMM receipes.

Until there will be people searching fame on others work, i think we will have such discussions.

I appreciate youopen this topic and that we can post what we think without censorship of some people coming from the dark side ;o), I love starwars.

Have a nice day !

Emo

Persian Prince
    people, stop supporting/using closed-source

will keep this short mate. to me is look you saying something and do something else

you don't like close source but you still do dreambox image hope you makeup your mind sometime LOL

voyger.: A Person with no imagination his a person with no wing."

voyger.:"never make a arguement with an idiot. It will drags you to its own level,and then he will strikes you with His experience."

• Official Post

Please friends i did not open this thread with purpuse of getting personal.

I open this thread to enlight the fact that more and more of the development is going closed source and i wanted us to have a cival discussion

about this.

Enigma2 as source code is open but today more and more plugin and image builders are closing their sources

Is this a good thing or does this slow down the development and the ide behind open source?

Another question is. Are we in the future only going to see just a few image builders because they have the best and most dedicated coders?

Maybe in the end we ends up with just 1-2 images?

Look at Dreambox (DreamOS) many image builders have dropped them because of the closed source.

This is a few questions and as allways this is my opinions and questions and not the Opinion of Linuxsat-Support

• As in everything on this earth, one person / human can do the difference.

We will extend the opensource if we have humble persons such as Richard Stallman or Nils Tovards, as well as Tim Bernets-Lee... as you can see they all started something beautiful and big, being enough humble to never take for them the success and fame of what they gave birth to... being pompous and narcissistic have always destroyed the forces of the Teams behind these great adventures... so all will depend of the behavior of all us humans. If we share the success we will grow as we all would like, if we do the opposite we will return to closed code...

I am surprised that this psychology basics are completely missed... and in fact are the foundations of success vs failure.

Hope this little minute of thinking out of the box will help the open source community we all love and care about.

Emo

• Official Post

Thanks emosim this is the kind of discussion i was hoping for :thumbup:

And the funny thing is that i am personal big "no no" to clones and now i have a common agenda with the king of clones :chuckle:

so maybe the future is more bright then we think if we like you suggest think a littlebit out of the box and rember how and by who

this amazing adventure started. I agree alot with you about this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

• Thanks emosim this is the kind of discussion i was hoping for :thumbup:

And the funny thing is that i am personal big "no no" to clones and now i have a common agenda with the king of clones :chuckle:

so maybe the future is more bright then we think if we like you suggest think a littlebit out of the box and rember how and by who

this amazing adventure started. I agree alot with you about this.

A little out of the OA discussion but its Funny to see the numbers, there is a lot of Japhar owners who just removed the original sim to replace it by a Japhar because of the EOL of these boxes if with DMM Sims... and ourself we created the Japhar to continue to have software on our boxes/hardware, a lot of business people wanted to have it thrown away to sell cheap low quality new Enigma2 or Android boxes...

Japhar is not clone (its a mistake to tell this as Japhar Team never collaborated/sold the sims with a Clone manufacturer, we even got in fact DMM support !) its just few persons who teamed together (when Ferrari Team stopped after Sim2 boss killed their business forcing all clone factories to buy from Broadcom China, who he was the owner, the chipset AND the Sim) to continue support of their hardware, and not to throw our hardware away, saving our earth from more electronics garbage.

Until H265 will not be the standard our ´old’ boxes are more than actual... for me 4k is of no interest if there is no FTA channels available.

Emo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!