Your favourite quotes...

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 283 times. The last Post () by pcd.

• Just a bitta foon... :)

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• George Bernard Shaw

"A man of great common sense and good taste - meaning thereby a man without originality or moral courage."

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

"An Englishman thinks he is moral when he is only uncomfortable."

"Beauty is a short-lived tyranny."

"Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!"

"Martyrdom: The only way a man can become famous without ability."

"Parentage is a very important profession, but no test of fitness for it is ever imposed in the interest of the children."

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

"Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power."

"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more."

"Self-sacrifice enables us to sacrifice other people without blushing."

"The art of government is the organisation of idolatry."

"The love of economy is the root of all virtue."

"We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it."

"I'm an atheist and I thank God for it"

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Oscar Wilde

"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess..."

"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

"True friends stab you in the front."

"Who, being loved, is poor?"

"Woman begins by resisting a man's advances and ends by blocking his retreat."

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

"Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do."

"A man who calls a spade a spade should be compelled to use one."

"A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."

• Something less serious for these gloomy times.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave !

- Hotel California - song by the Eagles - often used in the context of the EU.

I was thirsting for knowledge and he had a car.

- Strawberry Fields - song by Deana Carter - singing about her boyfriend when she was sixteen and he was seventeen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!