Copying files FROM External drive TO internal HDD

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 527 times. The last Post () by Ploppy.

• Hi there,

I didnt expect to find an active community still dealing with the ole DM800HD but I found you. And I need a bit of a hand please. I have been tinkering with this problem all day and am getting frustrated with the dreambox.

I wanted to replace the internal HDD with a bigger one and prefill it with movies recorded on a DM7020HD. I purchased a 2TB 2.5" drive and put it in the DM800HD. I initialized it there and then too it out again. I connected it and the 3.5" 2TB drive out of my DM7020HD to my PC. I copied the "movie" folder to the new drive and put it back in the DM800HD which simply wouldnt display that folder. It also showed all 2TB free space. I put the drive back in the PC and sure enough .. 2TB almost full, the movies were still all there.

Ill spare you the rest of tinkering, I have an external housing with the 3.5" drive in it connected via USB to the DM800HD and the 2.5" drive is build back into the DM800HD. PLEASE tell me how I can simply copy those files to the internal drive ?!

Thank you for your time!

Plop

EDIT: Its an original DM800HD and its running newnigma v3.3.2

Edited 3 times, last by Ploppy ().

• Official Post

If i get you correct you now have th new drive formated and mounted as /media/hdd in your dm800hd

You have the drive you want to copy from in an usb housing connected to your dm800hd over usb port?

Have you also mounted that HDD

So let's say your external hdd that you want to copy movie folder from is mounted as /media/usb

then jus open a Terminal/telnet connection.

Now type and use this command:

cp -rf /media/usb/*ovi* /media/hdd/

This command will copy your movie folder from your external hdd over to your internal hdd

But if it's a big movie archaive it will take some time :)

And if your external hdd have another mount name just change the yellow path to whatever path you use

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

• Thank you SIR for that precise and fast response. Ive been chewing my hat here .. I will try that out right now. It mounted as /hdd/generic for some reason but yes, my situation is exactly as you describe.

Erm will the telnet session need to stay open until this has completed ??

• But seriously.. this is USB 2, so how long is my PC going to have to run to copy 2TB across? It doesnt even show progress or an estimate .. argl. This will take foreverrrr

.. that said its working so thanks again for that. Wish there was a plugin for the box that I could use instead of keeping the PC on for a week.

• Official Post

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::chuckle::chuckle: yes I told you it would take some time ;)

17.5 MB/s so check your calculator.

• Official Post

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle: Yes those wifes ;) but we love them so we do everything for them :cool1:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

• Good morning,

there remains a mystery thats not letting me forget about it. Why, with both drives formatted in ext3 on dreamboxes and using Ext2fs for windows would the dm800 not "see" what was copied on the hdd using windows explorer??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!