Help point me in the right direction.

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 423 times. The last Post () by CarworldHQ.

• Hi all

I used to have a diy satellite system years ago. I now want to get back into it. My former STB was a Technomate. From what I have read the majority of STB are Linux based. I am aware of linux but i am not conversant with it. When I had my Technomate it was simple to set up and did not require Linux. I have also noticed that fiirmware updates for the Technomate is lacking and the model ranges for non Linux units are dated. So maybbe its time to go in a different direction.

I have a 120cm steerable dish. Not sure what LNB but can always upgrade. All I require is the right STB for my needs.

I would like to look at various sattellites and unscrabble where possible. A STB with good support is a must, as I will be learning as I go along.

I willl be gratefull for any advice.

Thank you in anticipation

Tony

• Official Post

We are spoilt for choice really.... what other requirements will you have

Do you need 2 or more tuners ? - so you can record one programme while watching another / several

The most popular STB's are currently zgemma, octagon, VU

Have a look at the site sponsor store https://www.world-of-satellite…/4k-uhd-digital-receivers

Give some thought to what you require, the octagon sx8008 has both linux and non linux firmware, so you can get the best of both worlds with that box

• Dear Jenseneverest.

I looked at the link you sent. There is quite an array of equipment to choose from. I thought I would a t least respond and let you know I am still researching. I have only worked with windows based sytems. The Linux based sytems seem popular and plentyfull. I have beena looking at how they work. operating sytems. firmware etc. However the information is in no one place.

I was looking at the Technomate 5402 M4. On another forum there are indications of dissappointment and lack of support. So at the moment I am leaning towards Linux. I just need to get my head round it some more. The high end STB look good e.g Gigabluue etc. Just need to make sure I can use it to its full potential.

In the mean time I am listing my requirements.

Thank you for your guidance.

Tony

• After much box ticking the type of STB I am looking for must:

Be able to record so have at least two tuners.

Able to drive the dish motor

Blind search not essential but helpful

I currently use a RF modulator to watch content on two other tv's. So that capabilility or equivalent.

Be able to control the STB via an app or smartphone.

I dont have a 4K tv so not vital.

Above all a STB that has good support.

Be able to expand, download add files etc for free for educational purposes

Buget is around £200 howver not cast in stone.

I have seen boxes Ranging from £99 to £350 that can cover the above.

what would anyone recommend and why?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!