first linux reciever, usable for elderly folks?

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 967 times. The last Post () by jenseneverest.

• Hey there,

I'm about to buy my first linux reciever. Probably four of it. So far we used TV Cards in PCs in combination with bulit in TV receivers.

What I'm looking for:

- Satellite receiver (single tuner)

- capable of Sat>ip

- oscam client

- capable of playing files from a nas. As "neatly" as possible. I'm used to kodi, there is also a Mysql database in the network with the movie information, so all kodi clients have the movie list.

- ideally it should be usable for older people, 77 and 81. The current build in TV software is not a problem. But there for stability would also be great. as they need a device that "simply works"

- no HDD

- no 4k needed

I'm fairly familiar with linux but not at all with linux recievers so far. A basic artikle about the topic would be great! There are a couple of buzz words that I came accros, but I can't really tell them appart. Enigma2, newminga2, dreamos, openpli, black hole, openatv, gemini project 4 - if someone could shed some light on this, that would be great!

I came across the DM 525 combo, which also adds an DVB-T tuner, which would be nice. But then I read that the maker doesn't support the enigma2 community and therefor isn't supported in many ways.

As a bonus, it would be great, if there would be a plugin for TV Station streams form the internet, which can be made accessible by vpn (one of our vlans is behind a vpn, so the linux itself doens't need to make the vpn connection). But that would really be the cherry on top of the whipped cream... and by no means a must...

I really hope you guys can help me out!

-tobi

Edited once, last by huibu ().

• Official Post

Hi welcome to the forum

Some e2 boxes have kodi

All can run a vpn, Sat>ip, oscam

Once setup on one box you could backup the image to use on the other 3 boxes.... for the elderly

A HDD or at least a USB stick (or sd card in some cases ) is highly recommended for epg data, timeshift, kodi , backups etc etc

A zgemma h7 / h9 or octagon sf8008 would meet your needs, but we are spilt for choice really.

check out the forum sponsor

https://www.world-of-satellite…-receivers/octagon-sf8008

• Thank you very much for the answer! I'd love to order from the sposer, but I'm based in Germany, and the shipping adds to it, so does the VAT hussel...

Thanks for the hint for the HDD, that makes a lot of sense. I was mostly thinking of recodings.

Does a HDD at the usb port have an advantage over connecting a NAS? (The NAS is a very powerful Freenas fileserver, that has a automated replication to an off site location running)

I'll have a closer look at the two devices. Thanks for pointing them out!

• Hi everyone, I allow myself to give my opinion on your request, the 2 devices mentioned by the friend Jenseneverest are good, I have both and I strongly recommend the Octagon sf8008 receiver without problem, for the place in multiboot, the Octagon Define program and the very affordable price ....

Edited once, last by kashmir ().

• Official Post

The Octagon is a German brand and highly recommended :thumbup:

Yes the Nas will work, i missed that part of your first post, you can mount it on all boxes easily, share recordings etc etc

• Alright! the Ocatgon it is! I guess the different versions of tuners, soley depend on connection needs? The other hardware is identical?

About the firmware, is the choice of firmware as simple as the hardware?

• Official Post

Alright! the Ocatgon it is! I guess the different versions of tuners, soley depend on connection needs? The other hardware is identical?

About the firmware, is the choice of firmware as simple as the hardware?

Tuners will be dependant on your needs:thumbup:

The sf8008 is probably the best supported box, and by nearly all the build teams, it runs enigma2 and its own closed firmware, so you get a good choice of what firmware to run. It also has hardware blind scan and multiboot.

See openATV wiki for some of the setup possibilities

https://wiki.opena.tv/index.php?title=OpenATV_Handbuch

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!