PYTHON 3 and IMAGES OE2.5

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,446 times. The last Post () by Melgas.

• Hi,

I have a DM920-4K UHD, with an OE2.5 Image installed.

There is no OE2.5 Image, with Python 3. Only in OE2.0 Images, we find PY3.

Please, I come to ask you to inform me:

1. Is there an advantage in installing an Image with Python 3.9?

2. Or are OE2.5 Images with PY2 equivalent to those with PY3?

Thanks.

DM920-UHD4K + SF8008-UHD4K

• Official Post

Python is just a coding language, The most common used was the py 2.7 but as devs got older and the younger devs took over, They of caused was schooled in py 3. So the natural move for image builders was to move from 2.7 to 3. But to be honest the python 3.9 is already 11 years old so it's not something new ;)

1. For your Dreambox there is no advatage to install a python 3 image. You will probably endup at some point wit the red light.

2. OE 2.5 is also at it's end of the rope. And without me spreading to much rumors. It will be replaced by OE 2.6 at some time.

Most good plugins is today both py 2.7 and 3 compatible so I suggest you stick to the supported images based on OE 2.5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

• Hello seagen.

I will do so, as you advise me.

However, while waiting for this information, I installed the openATV 7 Image, on the DM920. I'm not satisfied.

I will go back to MERLIN-4 OE2.5 which is good.

On this DM920UHD4K, can I install OE2.6?

Thanks.

DM920-UHD4K + SF8008-UHD4K

• Official Post

Yes but now IMPORTANT!!! do not backup and restore any settings while switching images or you can endup with a dead box

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!