Help with recording to windows share....

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,537 times. The last Post () by davus.

• Hi All,

Im slowly making my way through learning the dreambox ins and outs, and now im having a few problems with setting the recording path.

I have done a search of the forums, but was unable to find anything to answer my question.

I have sucessfully setup a mount from my dreambox (running OpenPLi-2.1-beta-dm800se-20120526-sim210-ssl84b) to my windows machine through MountManager:

Active: enable
    Local share name: recorded
    Mount type: CIFS share
    Server IP: <ip of my server>
    Server Share: <sattv> (the sahre on my server)
    Use as HDD replacement: yes (not sure if this makes any diff)
    Mount Options: rw
    Username: <myuser>
    Password: <mypassword>

I have verified the share is mounted and working by going through TSPanel "File Explorer". I can add/delete files on the server and see those changes appear on the dreambox.

The bit im having the problem with is, how do i set the box to use this new location to save all recorded stuff to?.

Many thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

Dave

• If you want to use this as a recording location then you are doing the right thing in mounting it as a HDD replacement. In my experience setting this option isn't always successful if you already have drives installed. Try deleting your mount settings, and before you start, remove any drives and restart your receiver, then try mounting as a HDD replacement, then restart. Take a look in the /hdd folder (could be /media/hdd or /mnt/hdd - and if it is successful in mounting as a HDD replacement, it should be mounting as a HDD, and through these paths you should see your windows shared folder. You might be disappointed with recording over LAN, works for some, and will be best if you had a dedicated drive to record to.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Than musogeek.

You are indeed correct. Setting the HDD replacement option actually automtically created a "movie" folder in the subdirectory of my windows server share.

My recordings are going directly to there now.

I have a gigabit network through my entire house, with a gigabit managed switch ( i have a rack with servers / routers etc under my house) so the recording performance across the network is great.

On top of all this, an added bonus is that the dreambox dumps the files onto the server as a MPEG-2 file, which means my other media players around the house (bedroom, loungeroom etc) can play them as well.

All coming together!

Dave

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!