Where are the python 3 plugins

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,106 times. The last Post () by s3n0.

• seagen

Changed the title of the thread from “phytin3 plugins” to “phyton 3 plugins”.
  • master G

Changed the title of the thread from “phyton 3 plugins” to “Where are the python 3 plugins”.
    • Official Post

its not that simple im afraid, there are different versions of python 3 in all the different images, and not all plugins are still maintained, some are compatible in some py3 images while not in others. The ones downloaded off the actual image plugin download area should work, other than that you will have to try yourself.

Oh and FYI most py3 images are still beta test images.

• Echoing what jensen has said, As a rule of thumb if its in a python 3 plugin image feeds, then they should be fine.

If its not in feeds, then its just a case of try it and see.
    Lots of enigma2 hobbyists are trying their best to convert older plugins that are no longer maintained. But its not that easy converting some plugins if you don't know what all the original code did in the first place. Plus its generally not just a case of converting to python 3. While we are in transitional period, plugins now have to be coded to work on both python 2 and python 3 at the same time. So lots of extra code. So its a slow process.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• On my receiver is actually installed python 2.7.13.Do I have to upgrade now to python 3?

Why would you do that ?

I do not understand.

Installing Python 3.x.x on your system will not help. For example, OpenATV old versions with Python 2 have the ability to install Pyton 3 from the feed server. But for what? You don't need it.

New versions of Enigma2 are gradually moving to Python 3. However, in this case, everything adapts to this Python 3.x. In this overall firmware, more things adapt for Python 3.x operation. For example, the Linux kernel or the Linux library. And also the support is primarily changing from Python 2, exclusively to Python 3. So in the new Enigma2 distributions (only some distributions!) There will be no Python 2 at all, but only Python 3. This is also the case for the future, new OpenATV 7. x (at the time of writing, ATV versions 7.x are still only beta and alpha versions).

• The idea is the opposite.

Unfortunately, many plugin developers leave their plugin deadlocked, i.e. with support purely for Python 2. Unfortunately.

For example, I have already reworked my Chocholousek Picons plugin to support Python 3.x.x. So my plugin (with picons from Chocholousek designer) works in Python 2 as well as Python 3.

• The idea is the opposite.

Unfortunately, many plugin developers leave their plugin deadlocked, i.e. with support purely for Python 2. Unfortunately.

For example, I have already reworked my Chocholousek Picons plugin to support Python 3.x.x. So my plugin (with picons from Chocholousek designer) works in Python 2 as well as Python 3.

Hello friend, as you say so well, python 3 does nothing except bring new problems, python 2 runs very well and almost all plugins work, I really don't see why go to a system that brings.....peanuts....

Have a nice day everyone and have fun....

• Hi kashmir ,

you don't have to write me 😁. I'm a Python developer, even with a certificate 😁 which is so useless to me anyway.

Even in the tests, there were a lot of catches about the difference between Python 2 and 3. From the programmer's point of view, there are a lot of minor changes that you just have to control, because the code will not work properly otherwise.

For example, conversions or the use of standard strings. Python 2 and Python 3 use a different default format for the string data type - if you need the Unicode. Here is an example, which I mean:

And there are really many such small differences. These minor differences can disrupt code in many cases of different algorithms.

• And really-what are the advantages of python 3 that the big part of plugins could be lost? I am an ordinary E2 user and all.

• Above all, like everything, Python needs to continue to develop. In order to maintain the standardization of the algorithm, it is therefore necessary to make another version of Python. Unfortunately.

Python 3 improves many things. It clarifies a number of hitherto unspecified errors (in standardization). Sometimes it didn't matter if you passed the data type list or another type to a built-in Python method/class. Now it matters. The way unicode strings are used is also changing.

There are many differences between Python 3 and 2.

There are also many differences in Python subversions... fortunately they are not striking.

New versions of Python mainly represent new developments.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!