Box upgrade for 2023

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,302 times. The last Post () by rpl.

• Hi there, have an old Edision OS Mega serving as main box which, although a bit tattered, still works ok for the most part.

Is there any point in swapping it for some newer, 2023 Enigma2 box?

Haven't kept up to date with latest developments for some time so just wondering really.

Requirements are to handle and record TV from multiple inputs - terrestrial, sat and IPTV - and single epg. OpenWebif also, which is great.

Don't need cam, don't care for Kodi. A better youtube experience would be nice. A decent web browser or cast content to it would be great

Although the Edision has received many vix version updates over the years, in terms of updating channel lists, managing bouquets, updating epg etc the experience to me is unchanged.

Have looked at openATV and it seems pretty much the same as vix - same plugins, same experience.

Didnt try pure2 as there is no OS Mega image. But as last Pure2 update was a year ago I guess development has stopped anyway.

Also, do external usb tuners for terrestrial tv work as well as the built in tuners?

New triple tuner boxes such as the Edision are not that numerous anymore it seems..

Feedback and thoughts welcome.

thank you,

Jason

Edited 2 times, last by p0stman ().

• master G

Approved the thread.
    • Official Post

Triple tuners are harder to find these days. You already have a fairly high end STB. About the only thing i can think of that may be better is a VU plus with FBC tuners giving up to 16 tuners with compatible LNB. VU also have chrome browser and a better you tube plugin, but i use neither as prefer my smart TV or android based device for that.

USB tuners do work, but not many are e2 compatible nor have great results signal wise.

So my advise to you would be to keep what you have and think about getting a firestick or similar for youtube.

• there is almost nothing new receivers in Enigma2 front

you have got a decent receiver and it should do pretty much all things you need to do

have you try satdreamgr ? or openpli have images as late as 2-3 days ago so they are uptown date :-)

• thanks, yes, probably makes more sense now to let the box do the basic tv functions well and let the tv do all that other media stuff.

So testing out setting up openatv 7, seems allright, slightly more focused than openvix

• Unfortunately there are no new products in 2023. I would focus on hardware and soc/spu and ram when you choosing a box. All latest models use Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 or lower tier Hi3716MV430C. Both of them are not top end. Older models, like/mostly VU+ used Broadacom BCM7552 which was introduced in 2014, and later incorporated in products on the market. But Broadacom doesn’t have new models. On producer Dream changed chip supplier to Amlogic and S922X is used in Dreambox Two , that's definitely newer and high end. But Amilogic have more powerful models as well, but that is used my android box mostly. Long overdue Dreambox Seven will probably not appear this year (no surprise).

Promising is chip introduced last year from Realtek, RTD1319D but it may take years before it will be widely adopted by the market and STB manufactures.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!