Help choosing an LNB

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 231 times. The last Post () by Friday71.

• Hello everyone.

First of all I'm new to this so please bare with me. From what I know so far, it seems that the Inverto Ultra is the best LNB. Especially when combined with a feed horn, can help increase the signal or receive satellites outside of their footprint.

But I also saw these LNBs from companies like Norsat, Swedish Microwave, etc. that are almost 50x the price but seem a lot more specialized and customizable.

My question is, why are these LNBs so expensive, and what difference would they make with regards to signal strength and ability to receive satellites outside of their footprints?

Thank you in advance!

• oktus

Approved the thread.
    • Official Post

An lnb is not going to be a miracle cure to a satellite footprint. With satellite reception nothing beats bigger.

A bigger dish is better than the best lnb. Simple as.

You need to give specifics of what you're trying to achieve.

There is a well known case of a German making his own 20m (yes that is meter's) dish in Brazil to receive German satellite there. Way outside of the footprint. Obviously you need a lot of money and space to even contemplate doing something similar.

• Thank you for your response, jenseneverest!

Fair enough. So I live in Bahrain and I am trying to achieve two things.

1. Be able to receive a decent signal on Astra 19.2 so I can watch French channels.

2. I also want to be able to receive feeds on 7e. Even though Bahrain is well within the footprint of 7e, according to locals out here you need at least a 180cm dish with a feed horn to be able to receive all feeds with a decent signal because the signal on feeds is usually weaker(?).

Money is not the biggest issue here, it's rather space as fitting a 5m dish for example might be a bit of a challenge.

So how does one go about figuring out what size dish is needed to receive a satellite outside of its footprint, and what makes these exotic LNBs so special?

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!