Excellent Cheap wifi bridge option :)

There is 1 reply in this Thread which was already clicked 1,188 times. The last Post () by big kid.

• Hello peeps, just thought i'd share a nice cheap wifi bridge option which i have found in my humble opinon to be alot better than the vonets bridge that i initially used.

What you will need is a Dlink Dir-615 wireless router.. i have had a few of these off fleabay now for the £5 mark (i normally email local ones and see if they will take £5 cash on collection, if people think im trying to have them over i just get them to log in and check the completed listings to check what they go for which is usually between £5 and £10)

Vermin Media have been installing this router for years so you might even have one lying around.

Once you have your router you will need to flash in with 3rd party firmware from dd-wrt.com click this link to go to the router database page: Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com
    once there type the router model in the search bar at the top (when doing it make sure you type the dash e.g. dir-615 instead of dir 615 as omiting the - will leave some of the hardware revisions out)

you can click on the "Supported Device List" link a little further down the page and then scroll down to the Dlink section, at the top of the page it has intructions for flashing the 3rd party firmware and at the right hand side of your device (Dlink router) it has install notes for running on your specific device.

one thing to be aware of is the hardware revision which is on the sticker on the bottom of the router.. for some reason all the ones i have had have been revision D4, but im not sure if other revisions have slight differences in the way you flash them.

in this quick tut im gonna give you the instuctions for running it on the D4 but it might change slightly for different revisions.

so, type dir-615 in the search bar and click on your router, you will be taken to a page with 2 .bin files to flash your router with, one is the factory webflash file for intial flashing so makesure that you use this bin from origional vm firmware.

Log into your router : factory default ip: 192.168.0.1 User: admin Password is left blank... goto tools, firmware and then browse for the initial factory webflash bin file and click upload, once the initial flash is installed the router will reboot and the firmware will have changed to dd-wrt firmware, router ip will then have changed to 192.168.1.1

once you have the dd-wrt firmware follow this link: Client Mode - DD-WRT Wiki and follow the instructions on how to set the router up in client mode and hey presto, you now have a nice wireless bridge which i have have found to give me a nice stable wireless link to my hub, miles better than the vonets bridge i previously used.

oh, and if you have ocd like me you can change the green led's to match the leds of your tv and stb like so lol ..........
    26509d1332.jpg
    18ab26d615cc83e18f631e69.jpg

Hope this helps, all thanks welcome, cheers D

• Already have three of these setup in my house and can say they do work fine in bridge mode with dd-wrt!

Cheaper than most wireless adapters, gives you 4 ports to plug stuff in and also extends your wireless range around the house.

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!