Help with No-Ip on Rpi

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 435 times. The last Post () by digi247.

• Hi all,

Really new to this but have succeeded and got my raspberry Pi doing internal sharing, Its only a FTV card but wanted to have a little play until i move onto building a server.

Anyway as i say i have no problem sharing internal via CCcam or newcamd but i wanted to test external as in give myself a line with my No-Ip addy and go outside and back in again.

Its got me stumped on the Pi.

Anyone thanks

• i tried that today on my box, u cant do a no ip, back to your self to test

i could be wrong, its ok as 192 x x x x x ect, but no ip back to my ip comes up as offline.

best give a mate a line and test

• Congrats in getting the PI set up - makes a great Oscam server. Not used No-IP - but I use dyndns address, which i can set up on my router - and you need to forward the server port to the internal IP address of your PI - Of course you need to ensure that the IP address on your PI is static - to do this, you can match the PI's mac address to the IP address you want, or - better still, set this on your PI - Edit the file - /etc/network/interfaces - hash out what is already there, and add this (edit this to suit your network)

where I have put the x's - just adjust to your own network

address - the IP of your pi
    netmask - usually ok unaltered

the next three - usually ok if kept how it is - but change the x to 0,1, or two depending on your router settings

the above will usually be ok for most setups
    reboot PI and your ip should be fixed

to add - as seamouse said - dynamic dns address won't work inside your server - but should work so long as the service is constantly up to date with your dynamic IP

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Thanks for the reply Guys very much appreciated, currently just getting my head around linux some great Tut's on here so thought i would start small with the Pi.

@seamouse had exactly the same probs give it the No-Ip and it wont work even though the ports are open and are assigned to the Pi.

musogeek thanks i shall give that a try although my router has the option of always assigning the same IP fixed in the menu and i have all my ports assigned to the pi for opening and have used the canyouseeme.org and all is well, if it is still the same i will try the fixed ip.

Thanks to you both

• i have the same in my router digi - infact this is probably a better option (i have done both!) as it prevents conflicts if you have some of your devices on dhcp - It probably won't be too hard for you to check this outside your network - maybe take your receiver to a friends house - and I am sure you can think of other ways - plenty of peeps willing to help. Word of advice if you decide to use the PI as a server permanently, get a decent SD card - I had one melt on me and had to start from scratch as I didn't back up - oh, and back things up too..:firework:

• Thanks again musogeek i got a mate to try externally and its working 100% no problems, when you say back back it up can i just backup the whole contents of the SD card onto a Win PC or is it better to do it through putty

Thanks again

• there is a windows tool called win32diskimager-binary (also used to put the stock image on sd before installing on the pi) with this you can put the sd card in your PC , back up the image file to the computer using the reverse process to when you flashed the .img to the SD card, and to restore, just flash the image back to the SD and put in the PI

• there is a windows tool called win32diskimager-binary (also used to put the stock image on sd before installing on the pi) with this you can put the sd card in your PC , back up the image file to the computer using the reverse process to when you flashed the .img to the SD card, and to restore, just flash the image back to the SD and put in the PI

Yes thats how i loaded the image in the first place will give it a bash after, Just curious here does anyone know how many peers the Pi can handle with Oscam i would have thought it would only be a few which is all i would need for a few exchanges, I am mainly concerned about the loading with all connections.

Would i be better with a dedicated server.

Thank you again

• set up the PI so that it uses only 16mb for graphics (can do this on the latest updates) - or the minimum you can on the version you have installed. Also - make sure you are using a good quality SD card - SanDisk Ultra for example - Use preferably a class 10 that has very fast read/write. As I said, watch for heat, I reckon this could handle 50 peers, although for definite I know it can handle 20 so long as it doesn't melt!

****Remember - we are not condoning cardsharing - this site is for infomation purposes only****

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!