remote server access?

There are 15 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,309 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• im trying to log into my server using putty and win scp with no joy. i have tried myip.dyndns.org and also my ip address with ports 2222 and 1111 already forwarding to my server but they fail to connect? when i enter my dns url or ip it takes me to my router log in. what am i doing wrong?

VU Duo VIX OE3.0

OSCAM 1.20-unstable_svn build #6059
    CCcam 2.1.3 server

• Official Post

How To Change Default SSH Port 22:

By default, SSH listens for connections on port 22. Attackers use port scanner software to see whether hosts are running an SSH service. It’s wise to change the SSH port to a number higher than 1024 because most port scanners by default don’t scan high ports.

Code
    cd /etc/ssh/

Edit file: sshd_config

Code
    vi sshd_config

Change port on below line in sshd_config file:

“#Port 22″ should be changed to “Port 4765

You should not permit root logins via SSH, because this is a big and unnecessary security risk. If an attacker gains root login for your system, he can do more damage than if he gains normal user login. Configure SSH server so that root user is not allowed to log in. Find the line that says:

PermitRootLogin yes” should be changed to “PermitRootLogin no
    You can then log in with any other defined user and switch to user root if you want to become a superuser.

Once all the changes done, restart the ssh services:

Code
    service sshd restart

Above provided steps will change default ssh port 22 to other port like 4765.

How To Change Default FTP Port 21:

On a Linux or Unix server, you can easily change the FTP server port in both ProFTPD and Vsftpd.

To change the ProFTPD port, find the configuration file (/etc/proftpd.conf and edit the following line:

Code
    Port 21

Change “Port 21″ to whatever port you want. Just make sure that nothing else is using the port you choose.

For Vsftpd, you need to edit the file found at /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf and find the line:

Code
    listen_port=21

Change the port number to the port number of your choice, as long as it is not in use.

After editing the configuration file of your FTP server, you will need to restart the service.

For ProFTPD:

Code
    /etc/init.d/proftpd restart

For Vsftpd:

Code
    /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

Whenever you start or stop using a port on your server, you must apply those changes to your firewall as well. If you will no longer be using port 21, close it in your firewall, and to use a new port, you should open it in your firewall to allow access. Please also be aware that most FTP clients will expect port 21, so you will need to manually change the port in your FTP client to work with the server.

• Official Post

Here is an alternative way & im sure installing this will serve you well for other server issues in the future.

[h=3]Installing Webmin On Your Debian Server[/h]
    This allows you to manage your server in every way you would ever need to, once installed go to Servers/SSH Server/Networking From there you can easily change the port as shown.

• hello friend OSCAM'm installing on debian 6 and when I try to OSCAM isntala the error connection closed by the other end should I do to install properly grateful! I'm from Brazil and do not speak english little ..

• into browser you need to type the ip or dns of the server followed by the port number which web interface is set to ¬
    for example default CCcam web info is 16001 -
    SO -
    http://blacksx.dyndns.org:16001

Hope that helps -

There usually is password protection _ often defaults are
    user=root
    pass=dreambox

All will be in your CCcam.cfg and Oscam configuration

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• ok can someone tell me in oscam the line httpallowed = 192.168.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 only allows local access, how do i make it allow external ip access?

VU Duo VIX OE3.0

OSCAM 1.20-unstable_svn build #6059
    CCcam 2.1.3 server

• I take it I will also have to port forward the respective port I.e 16001

don't use common or default ports - either change them in the configs, or choose in your router a different external port to the internal ports to forward to

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!