where to point motorized dish?

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 817 times. The last Post () by rikjaard-real.

• All depends on what satellites you wanna pick up, mine needs between 1w and 28.2E... so i set it to 0.0 or south... so then it can move between the 2

• You need to setup on your southern most satellite. In the UK & Ireland its usually between 1w & 5w

What are your rough co-ordinates of where you live. Don't post exact ones, just the ones for the town you live in will do.

When your setting up just make sure the pole the motor and dish are going onto is exactly vertical. If its not it will never track the arc properly. I would suggest using T & Ks rather than an elbow bracket or something else along those lines.

Nano

• You align on the most southerly satellite to your location so you get the most from the available arc.

Dejv states his rough location is (according to google) 35.8997° N, 14.5172° E

I would say either 13e or 16e would be his reference satellite, not 1w.

Nano

• PART 1

attach a pole to something ¬ anything ! i have seen them on everything from ships and oil rigs to caravans -
    THE IMPORTANT BIT is making sure its plumb as Nano stated earlier you wont EVER get it right ! These things are finite to a degree (or two{2}) ! By PLUMB i mean absolutely vertical measured @ 90 degree increments with a level !

PART 2

Set your motors elevation angle to that relevant to your location - LONDON is 51.5 degrees _(from memory - check your location on google maps or dish pointer)

Assemble your dish and attach it to the motor as per the Instructions _
    Ensure you have it all centred correctly -
    The nuts holding the dish to the motor - make sure these nuts are tight cos they wont need touching again !

PART3

Attach motor with dish to the Previously (part1) installed pole - which you can be sure is Plumb in builder speak !
    This can be difficult if its above your head - Always be safe as possible ¬
    Now hand tight the bolts/nuts holding the motor to the pole -
    You should ideally now be able to move the dish and motor as one Left and Right on the pole.

This is when you align to BBC WORLD NEWS on THOR 0.8-1 West

This will involve moving the dish up down ( ON ITS OWN just the dish )
    AND the
    DISH AND MOTOR left & right -

Once you have this satellite aligned with a meter OR using your box tuned to bbc world news
    you start to tighten the nuts/bolts carefully BUT NOT fully tight yet !

WHY -
    Because now is the time to check the arc -

PART4 (excitment can set in BE warned)

With all your cables connected { of course ¬ }
    Input your u.s.u.a.l.s details in tuner configuration -
    SAVE THEM and select various to satellites along the chosen arc -
    [ BE CAREFUL _ DO NOT GO TO FAR EAST OR WEST _]

choose one position at a time because you do NOT want to drive the dish into your wall or roof
    You can visually check the clearance you have after each move to begin with !

An up to date channel list will assist with this enormously !

If your very lucky you got it right first time - WOW - what was all the fuss -
    You can select satellites at a push of a button !
    (Carefully tighten up the nuts/bolts on the dish elevation And the nuts/bolts holding the motor to the pole -)

If you didn't and i doubt you will first attempt !
    Drive back to zero and re - align as set out in PART 3
    take note that a FULL TURN of a nut or bolt is enough movement to throw the whole thing OUT _
    YES 1 nut or bolt turned more than 180 degrees can be the difference between spot on and ok through to nothing at all !

So be gentle and tighten everything in an ordered fashion very carefully -
    You will notice on the signal quality indicator how much one turn of a bolt affects it !
    Be patient and Have fun - once its set up you can tweak until its perfect anyhow !
    as a rule some satellites are stronger than others - Hotbird was always easy to get as is 19 east astra 1 ¬ then Astra 2
    Remember dish size plays a big role as to what you can receive too -
    Be sure your not trying to get what's impossible ! check the relevant info thats out there on kingofsat and lyngsat -

The bigger the dish the harder they get to set up -

Another way i have set up motorised
    with latitude on motor mount set as per motor instructions
    Is to drive the dish to say 28east by usuals with it all attached to the pole but only hand tight !
    Then align it to that satellite -
    So move dish and motor left and right
    move just dish up and down -

find that satellite you drove to with U.S.U.A.L.S - i chose 28east ! then check arc -

What ever way you do it will take patients and a few times unless your doing it daily !

Good Luck And PLAY safe !

:rikjaard1:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!