external DVD player - DVD not starting automatically even if DVD player mounted

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,959 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• Hello to everyone - as a new member I would like to ask for help regarding the following issue I face. Iwas not able to find the button to start a new Thead. Therefore I go this way:

I use a DM800 HD PVR Clone facing the following problem:
    I want to watch DVDs via an external DVD player connected with a USB-Hub to receive enough energie. The loaded image is not able start the DVD automatically either direct by the plug in DVD player or via the explorer showing the DVD as a mpeg1 file.

the images information are as following:
    Gemini Version 0.54-r1
    Release 3.2.4. 2012-11-04
    ssl 84-r0
    Kernel 2.6.18
    isofs, udf, cdifs dvdsccs ae loaded. Via the HDD I have no problems to start ts-files.

Using Benkurd image released 09.12.2012 the dvd player starts without problems, but honestly I like the Gemini setup more than the ts panel setup.
    Deleting the TS-Panel results in an unbootable image.

Any chance for help from anyone?

many thanks in advance - BR ffm60323

• Wasn't aware that external DVD players can be used in this way - think it is a driver issue - and besides even with the drivers most DVDs would probably not work, as there would be decryption issues.

ripped DVDs can be played - as far as I am aware, with a plugin, but again I think would need to be ripped with the encryption removed.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• it has nothing to do with encryption. it's playing any legal DVD under some images. Also checking the Lib and Kernel modules of both images I could not find the difference. One was an 1.6 image the other 2.0. Potential someone is able to provide me with a sim201 usable image with GP3 set up and no TS panel to check if the version is the reason.

• I repeat what I said - DVDs have CSS (Content Scrambling System) - which is a licence that is required to play legal DVDs - this system is employed in DVD players, software in Windows operating systems, but for playing DVDs with open source software, workarounds have to be found as the licence for playing DVDs isn't provided free. Playing DVDs in any Linux OS has been problematic because of this.

For any device to be working in Enigma2, then drivers have to be utilised, and working. Quick google (as I have just done) will point towards some DVD players being recognised, but problematic in the sense that when a disk is placed in the drive it doesn't mount.

• I understand your point. As mentioned it runs under one image but not withe the other. Therefore it seems working. How can I find out the different between both images

• Dear All, I was able to solve the problem with the image of drhg and install some further gst files. Now I'm able to watch DVD with an external DVD drive as well as via an external HDD. BR ffm60323

• Closing the thread if you have it sorted - TBH I didn't think it was possible to use an external DVD player to watch films for the reasons I mentioned - think I might have been confusing it with Blu-Ray. I am now intrigued, as I do have an external drive lying around doing nothing!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!