Vu Duo Ram- Total Memory running between 92 & 96%

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 950 times. The last Post () by pheonix.

• Hey Guys, wondered if anyone could advise on following:
    Tried numerous images to try and reduce memory in use, had issues with channels freezing etc. not often just now and then, what i notice on Blue Panel of Black Hole image in use is Total Memory always above 90% and usually around 96%

My question is how can I improve this without changing image as happy with image in use, have 1TB HDD installed and have 128mb USB stick think using EPG :doubt:

aprreciate any help :beer10

• it supposed to be like this. Linux handles memory differently to windows and considers free memory as wasted memory, it will release memory as requested by other programs etc.

the main thing is dont fill it up with plugin after plugin unnecessarily.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• This is a post from else where so i take no credit for it.

Linux uses the term 'free' differently to the average person. In other words if you want to know how much memory is free consider the example below:

$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2050768 1965940 84828 0 16456 429872
    -/+ buffers/cache: 1519612 531156
    Swap: 975868 684856 291012

You would assume my 'free' memory is 84828 (about 4%) but it's not, the ACTUAL 'free' memory is closer to:

(Used - (Buffers + Cached)) + Free = 1604440 (about 78%).

This is about 'normal'. While it's true that there can be a memory 'cock-up' from time to time, 99.9% of the time if you mess with memory management you'll simply detract from overall performance of a Linux system. If you add memory to a Linux system it will usually simply be gobbled up straight-away leaving an apparent ~5% free.

This NOT how Windows works and free memory in the two systems have different meanings and different impacts.

However, if you're a developer or need to manage memory more effectively you should probably look at kernel commit parameters in the first instance followed by the process 'kill' configuration - the so-called OOM-killer.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

VU+ DUO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!