DM800 Clone Surround Sound Support

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,604 times. The last Post () by spodge007.

• Hi all!

Ok here is the exam question for all you A/V geeks out there...! :59:

I have a DM800 clone running a Dreambox UK image. It is connected to my Panasonic TV via the DVI/HDMI cable that came with the box.

For some reason I do not get any sound through my surround sound speakers. I only get sound through the built-in speakers on the TV. Is this because I need a different type of DVI/HDMI cable...?

What do I need to do to get my surround sound working...?

:06:

Cheers,

Spodge

• The surround sound is connected via the built in home cinema on the Panasonic TV. Works fine with the DVD player, Camera etc. when I plug in other devices to the HDMI ports on the TV.

I'm guessing DVI doesn't carry the 5.1 signal and did actually fear what you have mentioned above, which is that I will need to push the audio via the optical output!:confuse:

Have you ever tried this yourself and if so does it work ok...?

Cheers,

Spodge

• Basically after speaking to a few colleagues at work and doing some research online it would appear that DVI does not carry the 5.1 Dolby signal, it is only capable of carrying two channel stereo.

The only option is to use the optical input and set AC3 downmix to 'no'. This forces the sound through the TOS connection into the amp/home cinema system, the HD video is still carried over the DVI/HDMI cable.

However....

My friend does not have a separate amp, he uses a Blu-ray player with a built-in amp and HDMI connections going to his Panasonic TV. There is no optical port! :-(

I am not sure is this produces true Dolby surround sound...?

Anyway the long and short is that he will need to buy a different set-top box (with HDMI input that support 5.1) and not a DM800!!!

Any recommendations....?

Spodge

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!