Any appreciable difference between 32 and 64 bit?

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 977 times. The last Post () by DEVO.

• Hi.

I am very new to all this and would appreciate any help with this question.

After following some excellent guides on this forum, thanks to thatfellow. I now have two working systems, a pretty hefty dual xeon running ubuntu/oscam in 64bit and an old atom netbook running ubuntu/oscam 32 bit.

While I understand that there is a massive difference between their abilities to process and serve. Are there any real differences running ubuntu/oscam on the same machine between 32 and 64 bit?

The main reason for asking is that the 32 bit install on my netbook seemed to be a bit smoother.

Thanks for any advice.

• Official Post

For what you are wanting to use it for there is very little difference ( if any at all) performance wise, you would be wasting the more powerful machine imo.

• Hi Ten Below.

Thank you, that's a real help and will stop me from doing unnecessary testing.

Yes, you are right about the xeon server. The only reason that I used it, was so I had good powerful machine with solid hardware to do my initial testing. I was also using the 64 bit installs first of all, and my netbook only has a 32 bit CPU.

The main problem I have had is that I am new to Linux, and it's taking me time learning what is probably simple routine stuff with the OS and the applications. I now have a good working 32 bit ubuntu/oscam server, except for an issue clearing some HD channels. I will find the appropriate sub forum to post about my HD issue, as I have done a fair bit of searches and followed some guides, but still having an issue.

If anyone reading is interested. Besides the slight HD clearing issue that I am having, which is obviously down to me. You may want to look in to the Dell Mini 9 as a nice compact portable server. My Mini 9 is an Atom CPU running at 1.6GHz, N270 I think. It only has an 8GB SSD and 1GB RAM, but these seem well fast enough to run ubuntu and oscam on 32 bit with an Omnikey, on a local network. You can find these cheap on ebay.

Cheers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!