Wiring Advice...

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 850 times. The last Post () by mrfixit.

• Hello there. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for my query. So, before I continue, is this where I am able to ask for advice about my desired wiring of my house for UHF and SAT configuration? By that I am referring to cabling (not the end point hardware in terms of receivers) but also the required intermediaries such as diplexers/multi-switches/dish/LNBs, etc?

Cheers in advance...

• Oh well, I'll just risk it :)

I have 7 areas of my house that I wish to deliver SAT and UHF (Digital TV over UHF) services too. There is no requirement for analogue services (I come from New Zealand and we are only now ditching our analogue broadcast tech). I currently have a "no frills" UHF aerial and a Dish with single LNB providing services to only two locations. Free to Air digital TV over UHF and ***TV over dish. (Typical I presume?)

I have been looking into various setups and am looking for advice on the cable runs and where to use the appropriate cable splitting/mixing technology. My house is a two storey house. I am prepared to ditch the any of the current roof equipment (Dish/UHF) in favour of something better if required.

Obviously I am keen to minimise the cable runs within the house and so I presume the use of multiple diplexers and/or splitters/switchers would be logical? I would really appareciate some guidance around how I should split and mux these connections? eg. Can I split these seven ways or should I be looking for minimise the amount of times I split with things such as 4way LNBs, or multiple UHF aerials etc?

The longest run in the house is likely to be around 50metres if that makes any difference. I was just thinking of having the disk and UHF aerial on the roof combine into a dixplexer, then have it come inside to a splitter that I can split seven ways, then run out to each location and use a dixpler at each end to revert back to separate SAT and UHF connections. But, I have no idea if this is doable or advisable.

Then I also though about have multiple UHF aerials and a 4way LNB/dish setup to lessen the amount of times the signal(s) would need to be split. But again, I have no idea whether this is even required etc.

I am not experienced in this form of cabling. However, I am an experienced IT and Services engineer. Any comments would be greatly appreciated... Cheers :)

• What you need is a multiswitch, 6 way, 8 way or however many rooms you want sat and UHF in. Change the lnb for a Quattro lnb. Run 4 cables from lnb (vertical low band, horizontal low band, vertical high band & horizontal high band) run your UHF aerial to the multiswitch too. Run cables from the outputs of multiswitch to your rooms and fit diplex outlet plates on the ends.
    The switch combines the UHF & Sat onto a single coax, and the diplex plate then separates them.
    If any of your intended receivers are twin tuners, then you need to run 2 coax to each room from the multiswitch. You mention 7 zones, this would be an 8 way you needed, but if twin tuner receivers you would need to double it. (14 way)

Hope this helps.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

• Hi there. Thank you very much for the advice. I have diagrammed what you have written. I noticed a similar setup from one of the million or so pages/blogs/sites I visited. I'm intending on purchasing a SOLO2 and so this will require (as you say) an additional run given the dual tuner nature of the unit. Thanks again... :)

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!