Advice for a new satellite receiver (triple tuner dvb-s2)

There are 13 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,705 times. The last Post () by pr2.

• I am looking for some months for a satellite receiver and i was hesitating between the vu+ solo2 and the amiko alien2 but both of they don't come with a triple tuner dvb-s2.

Now, i am hesitating between the vu+ ultimo and the gigablue quad

vu+ ultimo
    pros :
    good product and quality
    the product seems to be very reliable

cons
    a little bit expensive since this product is coming a old and it cost more than the gigablue which is a newer model
    ethernet 10/100
    processor 400mhz

gigablue quad hd
    pros :
    "new model" it has the same processor that you find with the vu+ solo2 or the duo2
    ethernet : gigabyt ???
    price (less expensive than the ultimo)

cons :
    upscaling from SD is not as good as with the ultimo
    the look is cheap

So, if you have any suggestion for another models or an advice between the ultimo and the gigablue, i 'll very pleased to hear from you.

best regards,

• Have a look at the venton hd3 the site sponsor has them im pretty impressed with this box so far no issues at all and you can have them with a triple tuner its not much slower than my solo 2 , they can take 3.5 and 2.5 drives whats pretty handy

• I never heard about this brand but if i am not wrong it comes with a 2 dvb-s2 tuner and 1 dvb-c tuner, i am looking for a triple dvb-s2 tuner (hotbird, astra, and an other satellite).
    So i presumed that the tuners are not fixed to the motherboard, and i can replace the dvb-c tuner with a dvb-s2 tuner in order to have a triple tuner dvb-s2. In this case, i would like to know if any additional tuner regardless to the brand would fit to the venton (if so, which one would you recommend me).

At this stage, i can buy the gigablue quad which seems to offer more for the same price than the venton hd3 ?

Both the venton hd3 and the ultimo seems to get older compared to new generation of satelitte receiver (vu+ solo2, duo2 (to come), gigablue quad => new processor, ethernet 1go, etc.). So why would i pay such a price for this products ?

At this moment, my choice would be the gigablue quad or another receiver.

Please send me any advices since there is a lot of products on the market and i am a newcomer in this field

• I would agree with you when you compare the GiGaBlue Quad with the Venton HD3, I would probably go for the GiGaBlue. From the forum sponsor the GigaBlue plus an additional tuner (to make it up to 3 tuners) would set you back £310, and the Venton with 3 DVB-S2 tuners is £300. The tuners are plug and play so you have the choice of what type of tuner. Take a closer look at the specs - Horses for courses really. The Venton HD3 has 2 smartreader slots, and can take a 3.5" HDD, where the Quad has 1 reader and room for a 2.5" drive. Yes I would choose the GiGaBlue over the Venton HD3, but if I wanted a cheap as chips E2 Mips dual tuner I would go for the Venton HD1+

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

but if I wanted a cheap as chips E2 Mips dual tune

Can you translate what means E2 Mips?

Do you think that the fact that the gigablue comes with only one smartreader is an relevant incovenient over others receivers ?

• Can you translate what means E2 Mips?

Do you think that the fact that the gigablue comes with only one smartreader is an relevant incovenient over others receivers ?

MIPS (mipsel) is a type of processor which was used in the original Enigma2 Dreamboxes, then the Vu+ series, and a lot of other receivers. Enigma2 was designed to work with this kind of processor. There are receivers that use a different CPU - SH4, such as the Amiko Alien2, Azbox, Qbox, etc, which use a modified version of Enigma2. SH4 receivers are usually cheaper, but are not well supported and a lot of plugins do not work

I can't answer the second question because it depends on what your needs are.

• So i bought the Gigablue Quad but i am so for disappointed by this receiver :
    1) very poor video quality in SD (like a very bad dvd-rip) ;
    2) HDMI : unable to connect the receiver to my home theater with the hdmi cable => no video/audio signal
    So, i am forced to connect it to my TV => bye bye the surround sound and the higher quality offered by my speakers
    3) i bought an internal hard drive (2.5 1To) which is not yet reconized by the receiver even if i have formatted it
    4) the size of the screen menu is too big, so i am unable to read all the information (i have to guess : evice => device and so on)

The pros :
    1) up to 4 tuners
    2) quick boot
    ???

• Maybe you should browse the help sections to find solutions for your issues. Most could probably get resolved - ask for help in the relevant sections if you don't find the answers. As for SD quality, it is pretty pants anyway, but I have not really seen anywhere that this is particularly bad on a Gigablue.

• I have been using the Vu+ Ultimo and if anyone wants quality for good money you will never be let down by this reciever. It´s just TOP.

• @ Mr Aluyi Please read the rules mate, you haven't made introduction yet as per rule number 1. Thanks.

Anyway back to the main thread.

To be totally honest, although my Gigablues aren't of the Quad variety the SD output through HDMI or SCART of both my Se and Solo are no worse than any of my other receivers. What are you comparing the SD output against?

HDMI : unable to connect the receiver to my home theater with the hdmi cable => no video/audio signal

There are a few HDMI standards in Use from HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2,1.2a, 1.3, 1.4 and 2.0. If you are getting sound and pictures through the HDMI cable when its plugged into the TV it tells me that the HDMI is working fine on the Quad.

It could well be that the Gigablue uses a newer standard of HDMI than your home cinema unit does, That may explain why it doesn't work when connected. If thats the case no new satellite receiver will work correctly through your Home Cinema setup.

How old is your home cinema unit? The age of it will define which HDMI standards it can use.

What brand and type of HDD have you installed? Have you tried a different image to see if the HDD will initialise. Some images are better at handling HDDs than others, so to write off the receiver as a failure to you before you have tried to figure out what is causing the issues is a little premature. The GB Quad is not plug and play. You have to play with it in order to get things to work the way you want to.

All i can say is if you are finding the GB Quad a handful its a good job you didn't get the Alien 2.

Nano

• I have the gigablue quad, its an awesome receiver compared to the old alien I used to have.
    I have had open vix, great image, also had open mips on it another great image.
    I have it conneted to my surround sound (Sony) about 5 years old both images had no configuration to be done to get the surround sound working.
    The receiver is lighting fast channel change/boot up etc.

these receivers take a bit of learning to get to know, its a bit of a learning curve.
    Regardless what brand you buy just because something does not work it does not mean the fault lies with the receiver, usually its down to something on the user end.
    I know because anything that could go wrong has gone wrong on me.

• Hi,

musogeek,

In your explanation of SH4 you state that Azbox is SH4, this is wrong Azbox is also MIPS but based on Sigma Design chipset.

blackjack21,

The very frist thing to do is first to look at update for your Gigablue, probably that the stock firmware is now out-dated. There was problem with HDMI on it but they are fixed since a long time now.
    So online update is not enough, you need to pick up an up-to-date image from the net and do a brand new flash to take advantages of the 5th march 2013 drivers update:

Pr2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!