Noob to Sats... Openbox for me?

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,260 times. The last Post () by hamborambo.

• As holly says guys buy from a reputable firm like our sponsor and have peace o
    Of mind!

Newbie, here I can see I'm gonna get any help I need.

I have kinda made up my mind to give the S9 a whirl, and I have one ready to collect via ebay.

However I've made it clear to the guy if it's a clone I'm not taking it. To be fair he was cool with that.

I used to run a couple of 500c's and I remember the issues of which clone to have etc. Seeing that hamborambo in this thread has had a problem with the power supply, it's made me remember that the cheapest deal isn't always the best deal.

If I want an OpenBox s9 it seems that Creative Satellite have none to sell. Can you possibly recommend where else to go

Thanks in advance

• Yes Creative doesn't advertise them but I think we could request them maybe...

Am an openbox may not be a wise choice if you are interested in getting involved in card sharing...

Don't get me wrong they are a top notch box if you have a debian server to act a client,or just for fta..

But they cannot act as a ccam server, i.e. cannot share out from the box...

• I'm really new to this. I've just come off sky sub and want to continue with just that. I trust you mean that I can't share out, but can receive. Basically I want what I have just given up. Just 1 room at the moment. Am I looking at the the wrong product for my needs, or are you saying that this box, can do that but that's it.

The appeal of this box was

The good picture quality,
    The abilty to use Logitech Harmony that may help with non existant EPG
    HD at a price that cannot be found elsewhere.

I have managed to get one for ?65 collected, but it sounds too good to be true. For that price compared to a 500s it seemed a no-brainer. However I would rather pay a bit more and be able to return the thing if for example the power brick died.

• Yup i'd look more towards an Dm800s m8 or a Vu if you want to get involved in sharing if your looking for hd..

i got a dm500s to get me started! And it does fine for sd!... Any other help just ask!

An openbox cannot share through ccam which means you won't get clines in which means no ?? channels if you get me!

• Are you saying that the s9 will NOT allow me to card share on a sky setup at all. I just want to receive sky pack. I was gonna have this in my bedroom, and look at the vu + duo at a later stage for the lounge. I'm never gonna be interested in 100's channels. I'm just gonna miss sky sports, but I don't need live prem matches beyond what they offer.

Surely the S9 can handle this, otherwise what purpose does it serve.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the S9 may have limited usage, but please confirm that it will or will not allow me to c/s at a level where*********

• We do not tolerate pay servers here m8!!...

You should not have to pay for something when you can recieve it for free... They are ruining our hobby...

You want to know will it act as a client...

Simple answer yes...

• Oh boy. I'm sorry.

I was advised to come here by a forum moderator who was just helping me on something else.

Can you please direct me to a good tut that will open my eyes to your hobby.

I'm a willing learner, and believe I can now see why the S9 may not be the most suitable box for me.

Thanks in advance

• Have a look: Cardsharing tutorials

Here is what people are sharing: http://linuxsat-shares.com/cccam-local-exchange-section/

And if you don't have a card you can still share: http://linuxsat-shares.com/cccam-free-exchange-section/

Have a look at a dm800 or VU m8, excellent hd box and the main thing acts as a server for sharing...

http://linuxsat-shares.com/car…ing-about-payservers.html

Noobs think there's no choice only to join pay servers but you actually don't, if your willing to learn its worth it!...

• Have a read through the tutorials that Glen linked for you and anything you are stuck with we will try our best to help you along. Welcome to the forum.

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo

• Completely agree with glenviewjf a DM800 would be the best way to go if you want to get into card sharing with an HD receiver. The Openbox will at the moment only work as a CCcam client. Like glenviewjf I started out with the DM500's then upgraded to the dM800 for HD. I've got the Openbox S9 (when I eventually get it back) for HD in another room linked off my main DM800. The Openbox will only ever act as a client and in that configuration it should be a very useful box.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!