Time limit on editing posts ???

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 725 times. The last Post () by mahrkpat.

• To Admins

Why is there a time limit on editing posts, and is this per usergroup, or for everyone and what is the reason for it if you don't mind me asking.
    Cheers

• Its for everyone, only moderators and admin can change posts after this time limit.

The reason is basically to allow continuity as if people could change their posts after someone has posted after them it could become confusing if the original poster changes his post making the following post difficult to follow or understand.

Nano

• It does not allow for a post to be corrected if a member posted in error or wanted to update their original post.
    That's why the "Reason for Editing" section is built into vbulletin and I don't agree with it because in a way it's a form of censorship and good forums are renowned for allowing freedom of speech.

• I suggest you take it up with admin then Sync, as unfortunately thats the way it is setup.

If you need something changing all you need to do is PM a mod and they will do it for you.

Nano

That would be why I posted in forum feedback and also addressed it towards admin :)

Sync, I feel your pain, I do remember having quiet a problem with that exact issue before I got mod status and it was very frustrating.
    It might be an idea to add an extra group (with conditions of minimum 400-500 posts or similar criteria) who would have maybe 24Hour Editing Timeout.
    This status would/could be lost if staff deem these privileges were used / abused..

As Nano mentioned above, if everyone had unlimited editing powers the forum would turn into a bit of a joke but I think you raise a valid point and hopefully a solution that will suit both staff & the top contributing members can be found...

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• I think the time limit is enough, I have typed quickly and posted quickly and reading through what I have posted found glaring mistakes and had enough time to correct if you want unlimited time to modify post then the whole meaning of the thread might be lost, you also have the option to reply to the post correct and correct any errors you might have made or clear up misunderstandings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!