VU+ Duo hangs randomly

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,029 times. The last Post () by bjornon.

• Hello -

I've had an original Vu+ Duo for some years now, and it's been very stable. I have a 4-satellite setup (4 lnb), and for most of the time I've used BlackHole. The last stable image I've run is 1.7.9, and I've used Scam 3.60 to (legally) view TV.
    However, the last month I've had a problem:

Randomly, the box hangs - the screen going black, display showing last action, and the lamp is green (reacting on remote). A "hard" restart seems to be the only way out, but then it freezes again after just a few minutes. It freezes on remote signal - changing channel, performing setup/adjustments etc. I've tried several images, and found that VTI so far is a bit more stable (may be just a "hunch"). I've also flashed original Vu+ image 1.7 before flashing other images, but no luck.

I'm suspecting that this may be a hardware problem - or a kernel/driver problem. I've reformatted/initialised the HDD, no fix. Several years ago a had a similar problem with a PC, and it turned out to be a defective fan. Before I open the box, and start fiddling with the hardware - I seek some advice here. I've found other users in different forums also have had the same symptoms, and I've tried the solutions proposed. But so far, I haven't been able to fix the problem. And I'm getting desperate - the PL starts this weekend...

bjornon

• It could be overheating. Take it apart and have a look. While you are in there blow out any dust too.

Also stick a friendly post in introductions. :-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

• bh1.79 is old mate..update to latest bh 2.0.5,...be aware this will format your drive to ext4 if your hdd is currently ext3..

shouldn't do, installing a image does not touch the HDD unless the user decides to format / initialize the HDD or at least it does not in ViX.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• shouldn't do, installing a image does not touch the HDD unless the user decides to format / initialize the HDD or at least it does not in ViX.

Well what i meant Pheonix was that if the hard is inistialized it will format it to ext4

"The Black Hole is expanding in our galaxy.
    We need more space..."

Starting from this version, the Black Hole image will fully support an internal hdd larger than 2 TB.
    The new initialise function will partition your hdd with optimal alignment and will format it in the linux ext4 filesystem, which will give the best performance.

• Well what i meant Pheonix was that if the hard is inistialized it will format it to ext4

"The Black Hole is expanding in our galaxy.
    We need more space..."

Starting from this version, the Black Hole image will fully support an internal hdd larger than 2 TB.
    The new initialise function will partition your hdd with optimal alignment and will format it in the linux ext4 filesystem, which will give the best performance.

I know but it's not a requirement that the user reformat the HDD if they dont want to, and for the record ViX has been using EXT4 by default for over a year now.

• Well. BH 1.7.9 was running steady for a long time, and I tried the 2.0 - but couldn't figure out how to install softcams. But that's not the issue here...

I've opened the box, removed some dust, cleaned the fan. It seems to be in order. Decided to test with the top lid off, to check the fan - but then it wouldn't start... Just the red lamp. Put the lid back on - still just a red lamp.

But then - after about 10 mins, the box starts. I haven't even touched the remote. And - after running for 5 mins, it hangs again... Next: Won't start at all. Red light.

The situation has gone worse during the last couple of days - which indicates a hardware problem. It seems that many have had the same problem during the last year, but noone seems to have found the answer to the problem, other than replacing the box altogether. I fear my vuduo needs to be replaced.

bjo

• I have just read your first post properly and it seems it might not be software related then as you have tried official software....as you will know these boxes are extremely robust so hardware faults i think seem to be almost non existent on official vu boxes..

Also installing cams on bh images has always been the same..ftp to tmp and install via remote so i,m not sure what your issue was there? whether an image ran stable for a while or not does not really matter..you should always update to the latest available image that the developers have issued especially if you are having issues!!!!you might as well try the latest software as from what you are telling us you dont even have time to install a softcam before the box breaks down anyway...

If it is a hardware fault then hopefully it is just the psu thats at fault here as that can be replaced easily and cost effectively...when you are inside the box checking your fan etc make sure all connections are not loose also...

MK

• I could be wrong but wasn't the BH 1.xx series based on the older 2.6.18 kernel ?, if so then it's possible that since the move to a kernel 3.1.1 based image your box has suffered the infamous memory leak that affects some Duo's on the 3.1.1 kernel image.

• A good night's sleep may often clear thoughts...

Possible reasons for problem:

1. The cooling fan:
    The fan is software controlled, right? But should it start on boot. I'm running a test now, leaving the box on (red light, no boot). The fan is not moving.

2. Power supply:
    It suddenly occured to me that during the summer we had one day with heavy thunder, which may have caused power failure, or worse, current failure. This may have done damage to the box. But then again, would it even start and run normally at all - even for a short time?

3. Capacitor c807:
    I've seen referrals to this capacitor causing a problem, not sure what it does. Something to do with the power supply? Can this be identified or replaced by an amateur, or does a replacement of the power supply fix this?

4. Kernel/driver problem:
    Early in the process I flashed the official image 1.7 (and have done several times since then) - and then flashed a new image (BH1.7, Openvix, VTI). I'm not sure, but when you flash an official stable image, it's like installing a new operating system on a PC - it's the closest you get to a factory reset. Right?

To conclude - I'm pretty sure it's hardware related, and if it's the fan or power supply it could be replaced.

@MeeKat: At some point, when you have an image that is stable and works fine, you don't want to upgrade just for fun. I tried BH2.0, and reverted - because I felt I didn't really need the new features. I used to download softcams via TSPanel or other plugins, and at the time I couldn't find the right package and install it manually.

Thanks for all the advice so far - I will get back if I can find a solution (other than buying a new receiver). Luckily, I have found a backup receiver (from a provider) so I can watch TV this weekend... But it's like delivering your Volvo for service, and getting a bike as a backup...

bjo

• I would suggests you to replace Capacitor c807.
    If you have not practice to do it , then contact someone who can do this because you can easily damage box plate .
    I am 99% sure after replacing Capacitor c807, box will run as new.

• I was not suggesting that you upgrade your image just for fun mate...why would i?you are obviously having issues so all i meant was that you are best to use the latest image on whatever developer you chose and in your case blackhole...i use bh on my official duo also and there has been many changes in bh images recently so i dont think it would do any harm trying the latest image buddy.

There is also a section on this very forum called softcam packs for all images so you might want to look at that because you could end up with the wrong cam from the tspanel...dont get me wrong the tspanel is fantastic and the work put into that is second to none...

It would also be convenient if you knew someone with the same box as you could simply try the psu from that box to eliminate 1 possible cause that your duo is currently suffering.

MK

• Thanks again for all advice - a short update:

I believe it is a overheating issue -
    Earlier today I decided to test the fan, and removed the top lid again. Removed all in/outputs except power cable, kept HDD connected. After about 15 minutes of red led the box booted normally, and has been running normally all day (about 7 hours) without freezing or crash. I've stressed it by changing channels frequently, and left it on. The fan started on boot, and has been running normally all day. But as I understand it, the capacitor c807 cannot handle too much heat, or will burn/break after long time use.

I suspect that the fault will reappear if I put the lid back on, and connect everything again - but I will try. It may also confirm that the problem is overheating...

@Meekat: thanks for the tip, mate. I've just discovered this forum - should have been here for years :-)

bjo

• Just wanted to give you an update -

Yes, it turned out to be the capacitor c807 problem. My supplier sent me a new one for free - and I've done my first electronics soldering job. Not hard to do, and much good advice to find on the net. And of course it brought my Vu+ Duo back to normal operation.

Again - thanks for all advice.

BjO

VU+ DUO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!