debian smargo help required

There are 27 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,422 times. The last Post () by newtolinux.

• Hiya guys. I've set up my debian finally. I've got a smargo reader and a usb powered hub. I don't really know how to install this and use my sly uk card with it as I'm new to debian. I've tried following Ten's handy tutorial for smargos but i'm stuck at the very first bit that says:
    "1: Linux PC setup.
    Make sure that your installed linux distro which has kernel 2.6.12 or newer version!"

If anyone can help me get up and running with my local and help walk me through it I'd be very grateful.

Many Thanks

• Quick how to for you with simple steps . If any need elaborating please post back. Think this is correct way as a friend of mine has done with this card.

1 . Install Debian 6 latest release as it has newest kernel . Determine whether your system is 32bit or 64 bit and follow respective download

http://cdimage.debian.org/debi…-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso 64bit

http://cdimage.debian.org/debi…n-6.0.1a-i386-netinst.iso 32 bit

Once downloaded burn the image file to a cdr.

Install debian 6 onto your pc following the step by step prompts.

Get this bit done first and if your still stuck after this stage post back

regards

t

Dont forget to hit the thanks button!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:41_002:

Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• hi newtolinux, thanks for your reply. I've already installed debian on my pc, I did this on Monday. Do I need to do this again? Is there a way of checking which debian version I am using?

• what image of debian did you download . What is was the iso filename ?

or

in command as root user issue this : -

cat /etc/debian_version

regards

t

Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• ok so you have installed latest debian install which is good :)

No , you dont need to reinstall debian

So if debian is installed then whatexactly are you stuck with

• ok .

plug the usb hub into the pc first . then plug the smargo into the usb hub . simples as the meerkats say :)

in root issue command : -

lsusb

the output will show you all devices on your usb ports. you will then be able to establish the usb port position or the bus:device depending on which cam your using :)

t

• v1.3 is best firmware i believe but not essential . Drivers are dependant upon which cam you are going to be using .

which cam you planning on to read your card ?

• how do I check which firmware the smargo is using?? I was planning on using cccam because that is already installed on my debian via the autoinstall script that I used. However, there's a lot of talk about oscam so was maybe thinking of using oscam to read it. I don't think I have installed oscam on my debian though

• would maybe stick with what you know buddy to begin with . baby steps and all that !! . You can check which firmware version is on smrgo's by installing the below to a windows pc and then inserting the smargo to there

http://www.maxdigital.nl/file.php?id=15

I think there is a readme with the downloaded file but dont quote me.

Once you confirm your firmware version is ok you must setup your smargo for linux.

Open smartreader.exe
    3: Plug the smartreader into a usb port
    4: Select Autoswitch or fixed mode ( choose fixed at 6.00mhz )
    5: Select Normal or Dreambox kernel ( normal kernel for linux pc )
    there maybe other options . its been a while
    6: Make sure it returns with "writing settings successful"
    7: Thats it !!

If all has gone well the smargo should be set for a linux environment at 6.00mhz to compliment the card you want to use it for

Now just configure your reader line in your cccam and hopefully you get working

thx

t

• did you install the files from max digital link ?

• try this link for windows driver package

http://www.argolis.com/files/SmartreaderUpdate14.zip

• My smargo is on formware v1.3
    However, whenever I insert the reader into the usb it keeps saying "unable to read latency timer -32" and cs studio says "no or unknown card inserted"

• I don't know what i've done wrong. The firmware for my smargo is v1.3. I've put in the card. put the correct lines in cccam.cfg. and it says no or unknoiwn card inserted.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!