Windows 8.1

There are 13 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,348 times. The last Post () by master G.

• 8.1 is free if you are updating from 8.0. Problem is that it was so full of problems, to the point that it was preventing some devices booting properly, that they had to pull it while they sorted things out. Now there is a surprise! It has reappeared again though - here is the link for 8.0 users;

Code
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

Word has it that you are best avoiding it anyway, and if you need the start bar and desktop, there is a cheap app I use called stardock start8, which works like a dream, either that or downgrade back to Windows 7!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• 8.1 is free if you are updating from 8.0. Problem is that it was so full of problems, to the point that it was preventing some devices booting properly, that they had to pull it while they sorted things out. Now there is a surprise! It has reappeared again though - here is the link for 8.0 users;

Code
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

Word has it that you are best avoiding it anyway, and if you need the start bar and desktop, there is a cheap app I use called stardock start8, which works like a dream, either that or downgrade back to Windows 7!

So I need 8.0 first?
    I am going to load it on a spare HDD, it's just to check it out really.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

• Windows 8 lasted less than an hour on my pc, what a pile of **** it really is terrible.
    Better off trying this on the spare HDD, there is lots you can do to make it look & behave like windows if thats what you are used to & like.

Code
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/take-the-tour

I want win 8, because it utilizes directx 11.2 and reportedly gives 20-30 more FPS in battlefield 4.

• I got windows 8 downloaded and installed the 8.1 update on Friday since then I can't browse between folders as it crashes ! Not happy

Jono

Regards

Jono

:wales::linuxsat3:
    Currently using VU+ Duo, VU+ Uno & DM800 all original don't do clones!

• I want win 8, because it utilizes directx 11.2 and reportedly gives 20-30 more FPS in battlefield 4.

Ah I get it, you are not even using Windows 8, and wondering if we know where you can get it?
    Try looking on the Microsoft website, PC stores, online stores etc.
    You are not going to get this for free through here if that is what you are looking for:taxman:

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• I ended up with win 8 when I bought a new Laptop, Hated it at first, but it has now grown on me since updating to 8.1. Never had a crash or issues with get things to run ok, but maybe that's down to the Lappy being new.

• I ended up with win 8 when I bought a new Laptop, Hated it at first, but it has now grown on me since updating to 8.1. Never had a crash or issues with get things to run ok, but maybe that's down to the Lappy being new.

Same with my new laptop but I still use stardock, a much friendlier I/F.

• Ive also got a new laptop mine was pre-installed with windows 8.1 the first thing i did was backup the original OS to a spare hd and I installed windows 7 pro

• Official Post

Xp is miles ahead of windows 8 its a shame Linux is not compatible with silverlight etc if it was i would use it.

I find Chrome a much better option than what you mention & for any other software if you must use it you can run it via wine, play on linux or vmplayer, i dont miss using windows in the slightest nor does my mrs who just last week moved over to zorin os,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!