Tomato firmware vs dd-wrt

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,591 times. The last Post () by stu76.

• Just wondering if anyone has any experience with tomato or dd-wrt firmware for routers. Which one do you prefer and which is currently best supported? I'm eyeing up either an Asus NT66U or the Asus AC68U router. From what I've read Tomato seemed to be the preferred choice, but I've noticed recently people saying Tomato is no longer supported as well as dd-wrt. My aims are really just to get a better router than my ISP has supplied, be pretty future proof, be able to set up openvpn, and just generally have more control over my wifi. I like to unlock a hardwares full capabilities.
    I'd be most grateful for your opinions.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with tomato or dd-wrt firmware for routers.

I have used both and Tomato is way more stable and there is virtually no loss of network speed from stock firmware..

Which one do you prefer and which is currently best supported? I'm eyeing up either an Asus NT66U or the Asus AC68U router.

Tomato but they are both very well supported.. I use Toastman versions of Tomato, they come pre-compiled with pretty much everything you need..

I've noticed recently people saying Tomato is no longer supported as well as dd-wrt

I never have issues with my Asus N16, but all the info I ever needed was available.. Toastman versions are constantly being developed..

So Its Tomato by a long shot for me, (Toastman Version)
    http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-379538/

Download Firmwares from here:
    http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Thanks for the info thatfellow, really appreciate it. I was leaning towards Tomato. Actually just found Toastmans firmware today, you wouldn't have happened to have tried Shibbys would you?

• Here is the version I have been running flawlessly for a year with my N16:

Tomato Firmware v1.28.7501 MIPSR2Toastman-RT K26 USB VPN

FEATURES:

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!