Standalone EPG download / processing server

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,365 times. The last Post () by thatfellow.

• Hi folks,

I've been googling this for a while now but can't seem to find anything even semi related.
    Let me explain. Right now I have two DM800 se which work ok. One set as server and the other as client. Simple home card share. Lately I've been trying to cut costs. Electricity is quite expensive here so I don't want to have the 2 boxes in standby all of the time. To that end I'm buying special master/slave power strips that switch everything else off when the TV is in standby.
    Soon I'll be getting a low power pc, that will always be on to run various things, ddns, vnc, utorrent. I'm already in the process of setting up an Ubuntu card server to run on a virtual machine on this pc which will allow me to switch on the client box without needing the server box on. The idea is to offload as much as possible to this pc and have as much as possible switched off.

So, this is all well and good until I get to the EPG. I'm currently running crossepg on the boxes scheduled to download at 4am. But obviously, if the boxes are hard powered off that's not going to happen. So what I need, somehow, is to have the pc download and process the epg and then have the boxes import the epg data from a network share on boot. Honestly the epg isn't an area I'm well up on. Is what I'm looking for even remotely possible?

Or is there some other direction I could go...? I'm finding it hard to come up with solutions.
    I think downloading and processing the epg on the boxes when they boot would take way to long.

Any ideas?

• Seriously mate, the dm800 are powered by 12v 3amp psu's, and use minimal current while in standby, it wouldn't be worth your while to do as your suggesting, just leave them as is and concentrate on your pc.

• superkazza
    sorry about that. Thought I posted way back when I registered. Intro posted.

sync
    DM800 in standby uses about 15w if I remember rightly. Measured using a power meter. Can't remeasure right now. According to the handy calculator provided but my electric company: 15w per years costs 25e. 2x DM800 = 50e = $67 per year to keep them on.
    I'd love if someone handed me 50e at the end of the year :)
    I know it's not much but this pc will be replacing more than the 2 dms so if there is a way to do it then why the hell not.

• I am also in the process of trying to reduce my power consumption but I am doing the exact opposite to you..
    Im switching from a CS PC Server back to my Solo2..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!