External ip address changes too often for dyndns updater

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 577 times. The last Post () by nano.

• hi to all im just wondering if any of you have had the same problem with your external ip, im with talk talk and have been using a dyndns account for around two years now but iv noticed that in the last week my external ip address changes around every 5 mins and my dyndns is not updating any could shed some light i would be greatfull its driving my mad lol iv tryed a new router and filters ect?

• you can edit the time dyndns updater checks - i think the minimum is three minutes ,

Rik

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Just to expand on rik's comment..

I assume you already have the client installed but if not run:

Code
    sudo apt-get install ddclient

Then to reconfigure:

Code
    dpkg-reconfigure ddclient

If there is still a problem, check if you have a section in your router configs (usually 192.168.1.1) called DDNS or similar..
    If you can set it through your router, your dns will be automatically & instantly updated when your ISP renew your IP..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

Edited once, last by thatfellow ().

• hi guys yes iv allreading been using the dns option in the router but it seems to be failing me so iv downloaded the dns updater from there site i will see how it goes over the next day or 2 thanks for the input i will report back many thanks

• Change ISP mate. Talk Talk are a load of sh**e. I wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw them. They are untrustworthy and will lie to get you to sign up to their services under false pretenses without telling you the whole story.

Every person i know that has used Talk Talk have had nothing but problems with them. They are cheap for a reason. If you want a good reliable service its worth paying that little bit more. Make sure you read the terms and conditions before you sign up for anything as there is a lot of stuff in the small print that would put you off straight away if it was made obvious.

Nano

• I cancelled my VM package last week because they wouldn't let up on a £49 charge for screwing an F connector into the back of the box and making a phone call to install a second Tivo box in the bedroom. If i had been a new customer it would have been free. The fact they already hit me for £70 a month doesn't matter.

The fact that all the cables are in place and that theres already a fully functioning V+ box there doesn't matter either as they still try and charge you for a full install, usually by some gormless twat from Fujitsu who doesn't know his arse from his elbow and usually f**ks it up anyway. I'd been with them for well over 5 years at my current address and another 2 years at the address before that. Customer loyalty means nothing to VM, its all about screwing that last bit of cash from their customers.

Still at least my monthly bill has now dropped by 75% with the new provider. I'm currently downloading as much stuff as i can on the VM line before its switched off. I'm hoping to hit 1000GB this month :lolz:

I've also told them if they want their stuff back they can come and fetch it as i'm not going out of my way to return it.

Nano

Edited once, last by nano ().

• who your ISP with now Nano?
    i only have Tinternet & a telephone line off VM & pay £25+ a month for 30mg
    never use landline for calls likes ;-)

If my post helps hit the Thanks ;-)

• Went with BT in the end, although their engineer should have been here before 1pm today and i'm still waiting for them.

It almost seems that all of the big companies really couldn't give a toss about their customers and all seem to be as bad as each other. Looks like i may have to rethink if they don't turn up to day as i'm not taking anymore time off work for them to activate a line that is already there.

This month really hasn't been good for me, seems like everyone just wants to take the p**s. Whatever happened to good old fashioned customer service.

Nano

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!